What is everybody's practice routine like?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Jun 7, 2001.

1. InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    I'm curious as to what everyone's practice routine is everyday (or every week..)? And for how long?

I usually practice scales going in 3rds and 4ths for about 30 minutes.
    Doing the chromatic scale for about 15 min, going up and down and doing 16th note chromatic patterns up and down the fretboard.
    A diagonal exercise that is used by guitarist John Petrucci; which is doing the root note, then a b5, root octive, b5 octive, then b3rd octive (on G string), 7th, 5th, b3rd. So for example, starting it on A. The pattern would be (hitting each note once and then moving up a string): A, Eb, A, Eb, C (still on Gstring), Ab (on D string), E, C...etc. And moving that chromatically up the neck and down.
    Using the Symmetric Augmented scale (a really phat scale I learned from listening to Matthew Garrison), which is 2 notes per string. Starting from let's say B. It'd be: B, C, Eb, E, G, Ab, B, C, C, B, Ab, G, E, Eb, C, B.
    Doing scale patterns using sextuplets, going up one scale and then coming back down on the next diatonic one.
    One exercise I used to do for knowing my notes all over the fretboard was to set a tempo on the metronome and then play each note (lets say G), all over the fretboard for each click, up and down.
    Then I'll occasionally do legato patterns for about a minute or two each. And also different styles of vibrato.
    And also doing bends, playing a note and then sliding down a half step or a whole step and bend up to the target pitch.
    These are just a few of the things I practice, some of them I try to do every day, and others it's every other day, and I use a metronome with all of these exercises. The diagonal one is a good one for a quick warm up, so is the chromatic scale, and just running scales is really good, just don't do that all the time...
    I was just curious as to what other bassists are doing for practice out there!
    Keep rockin'
  2. dang dude, i just start out playing some chromatic stuff in eigth notes then go all the way to 32nd. then do the same for slapping and popping. Then play a few easy songs, like some old korn and deftones, then to stuff like limp bizkit and incubus, then to mudvayne and stuff i make up.
  3. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    dang......I don't even do that. I just get in to the stuff that I wanna start playin'. I do need to start doing warm ups though. I used to when I play trumpet. Chromatic scale 1st and then on to the other different scales, all with metronome. I should probably do that if I want to be able to pin point specific notes on the neck. Anyway, I know I wasn't much of a help to this thread, but thanks for the insight! :D
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    see im boring and i just play all the songs i know
    im scared to learn new songs so yeah
    u can say im scared of the little bits of music that look like this
    dont laugh
    its sad
    "sad but true" as some of u metallica fans may say
  5. I just have my bass next to my desk, and when I get bored I pick up and do some doodling...
  6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001

I don't even know my scales, I just learn stuff and play it, maybe adding little bits every now and then. I've been playing for about 6 or 7 months and I can't read musical notation (self taught), only tabs. I kind of know which frt is which note but it takes me a second to work it out. Arghh, gotta learn music, gotta learn music...

I just come home from school and play until I get bored, usually half an hour to an hour and after that I'll just play every now and then for 20 minutes or so, play along with some Incubus or whatever.
  7. HEY BASS GIMP, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, but i suggest you put away your bass, don't even look at it,then go to the store buy some paper for your printer and some ink ( you will need it trust me) then go to libster.com go to the lessons section and PRINT OUT EVERYTHING, put it in a three ring binder and read read read and when you start to understand it read all of it about 50 to a 100 more times. then pick your bass back up (this will be a couple months later.) and play you will be amazed at how much better you will be. You will understand why the people on this site say that tabs suck. I also think that about half the people on this site could use this advice. You are so hung up on getting instant results you just overlook theory. any ways that is just my opinion take from it what you want. This is just a selfish suggestion anyways, because I am sick of getting a pounding headache everytime I go to the bar and hear a bad bass player that learned how to play by memorizing tabs. Anyway's I hope you take my suggestions and good luck
  8. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
  9. who ever said you needed a practice routine? i just play whatever i feel
  10. Um, I think Marcus Miller did.
  11. My practice routine is as following :

I play my bass every day for at least 1 to 3 hours..
    On sunday-afternoons and wednesday-evenings i practice with my band for about 5 to 6 hours ( depending on the mood / tiredness etc ).

When i practice alone, i usually fire up my computer with a midi-sequencer, for some nifty drumpatterns.

I play about 15 to 30 hours a week, depends on my mood and the weather ( when it's hot i tend to go out rather than to play my bass in the attic, eh ;) )
  12. well, that's fine and dandy if you want to play like marcus miller. i don't really have any such goal, i just play to have fun. whenever i get the itch, i grab the ol' bass and learn a new song or play one that i already know.

usually i warm up with something like "summer lovin" from grease, speed up with some green day and rancid, cool down with sting or something. whatever i feel like. i may not ever be a virtuoso, but dammit, i have fun anyway. :p
  13. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    It is very helpful to practice certain scales and
    exercises but I've found the best practice is with
    a band or live situation at a gig. This helps to increase stamina and it makes you play for the song. Let's face it, most gigs require us to play a supporting role and I think this mental approach will
    be make us all better bassist. Although it perfectly
    fine to experiment.
  14. InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    I agree with you Jeff Haley! Playing with a band and/or live gigs is a great way to build up playing ability (sometimes...). One problem though that occurs with me often is that the people I jam with don't know any harmony or theory (i'm 16 years old), so it's hard to jam with them when you tell them to play a Dmaj7 to Bm7 and they don't know what you're talking about. All they can do is play Hey Joe and Incubus (not that there is anything wrong with that). But live gigs and bands are a really great way to learn bass.
    Also, practicing scales and exercises like I mentioned is a good way. This way, you'll be able to do stuff in a live band situation that you wouldn't be able to do if you didn't practice! It also helps build your confidence so when you're doin a gig you're not like "oh crap, I better not do this fast run up Ionian because the band is going too fast and I'll screw up and look stupid!"
    Live band situations are great (how many times have i said that?), but also, when you're not out doin gigs, you should (if you want to get better) be practicing on your bass and working on things that you never thought you could do.
    Thanks for all the replies though.

15. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    same with me, except my bass is in my lap, doing a bunch of scales, sixths, songs, double-stops, harmonics, false harmonics, etc., but i play bass even when i'm not bored.
  16. InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Alright! Portrait of Tracy is such a beautiful song!!!!!!! Jaco was one incredible cat! I played Portrait for a cafe a little while ago, it was pretty cool. The last chord in it is a hard one to hit, but it sounds so freaking good!!
    I recently got a 1978 live in Germany video of Weather Report...the picture is pretty bad, but it's really phat! Jaco has his solo on it...pretty crazy! he does parts of Slang and Portrait and then hits the distortion and does Third Stone From The Sun by Jimi...and then ends it by jumping off the stage onto his bass...heh, good ol' Jaco!!
  17. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Since you are an advanced player, try to meet some older experienced players to jam with. This can be a great experience for you and you will learn
    how to apply all the great things you are learning.
    Also check out some Roscoe Beck with Eric Johnson
    and Robben Ford.He is a great bassist and knows how to support the song along with using great technique.Don't forget to check out Tommy Shannon with Stevie Ray Vaughn. Learning to play
    the blues correctly is a great stepping stone to other styles. Keep it up and the sky is the limit!!!