What is Everyone's Take on Amplifier's?

Discussion in 'Bass Central' started by Michael777, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Michael777

Michael777

Feb 22, 2006
    General Manager: Bass Central
    What Direction do you guys and gals think Bass Amplification is going? Are we Destined to be playing out of our Laptops or cell phones in 10 Years?

IMNotWillFerrell likes this.
  2. VincentB

VincentB

Dec 12, 2013
    I'm watching this thread! I'm coming for the other direction. I use an apogee duet, then usually a plugin (a huge area of interest and exploration)(logics amp designer or sound toys radiator). I'm wondering what's the best plugins out there? Am I missing anything sonically being totally in the box? What's the benefit of Avalons and DI box / sans amps over an apogee duet?

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nah. I think the market will split three ways.

1) Exactly what you are describing. All digital be it processors, laptop, or through phone aps. They are coming.

2) Mini rigs of doom. Ultra light heads with neo cabs.

3) Old school - Tube or regular solid state crowd with cabs all over the place from ultra light to the fridge.

I lean toward 3 and show no signs of moving into the other categories until I just can't carry my gear, which will be decades from now. I tried two ultra light heads and hated both. I tried two processors (albeit early versions) and hated both.

That being said, play what works for you.

Happy Face and CBBonham like this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I thought this topic would take off a bit more. Interesting.

If ya run into anyone interested in getting some vintage Sunn amplification, I have some.
    Sunn Sorado with 2 D140's. Sunn Concert head with 2 cabs each with EVMB15s. Sunn 300 watt power amp with 2 horn loaded 15 cabs. Of course all can be daisy chained to produce a small wall of sound... Eg "Back To The Future". My SWR stuff is my go to for now. I'm too darn old to throw around my vintage stuff unfortunately.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Ductapeman likes this.
  6. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    I'm a mini rig of doom kind of guy. I play in a bunch of different churches multiple times a week, and having my Berg CN 112 and GK MB 500 or TH500 with me is the one constant. Most of the churches I play in have amatuer sound techs who don't even know anything about EQ. I think the digital revolution is still another 20 years away, meaning that digital processesors will get better and better, but to it won't be for another 20 years until they become the norm.

7. Rian Magee

Rian Magee

Jan 21, 2016
    Ireland
    I think it all depends on the circumstances and situation that you're playing in. Amp usage is a bit divided already in that for the most part you're not going to bring your full stack to the studio to play through (unless you're lucky enough to find a studio that love recording live).

If you're talking about just sitting at home and jamming, I'm sure the whole smart phone thing is going to keep churning out apps that'll add fuel to that particular fire. Probably going to take over in the form of blutooth wireless transmitters...you'd still need a decent back line or monitor set up for giggin'.

For simple jams around the house, I don't plug up anymore at all, i just lift the Ibanez acoustic and chomp away. :)

8. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Most likely will evolve into electronic box with software ->power amp(regular or micro) ->full range cab.

I've been on the Line 6 stuff for 600+ shows over 9-1/2 years, studio trips, etc and it has worked well(Note:SansAmp programmable DI is carried in case it's needed, used 3 times:rain into Line 6 once and corrupt patches twice).
    The studios did run the Line 6-> Avalon->console.
    Our guitarist uses Line 6 and other guitarist/keyboardist uses a laptop & MIDI.

The recent bands seen(Delain, Sabaton, Nightwish) bassists seemed to be SansAmps->IEMs, guitarists appeared to be Kemper->IEMs.

Cell phone? Not here, my cell phone is a cell phone(old Qualcomm, 3 spares in the closet got off eBay for $10). Drop it, drown it, use it as a hammer.....it keeps working.

At home it's either Line 6 or SansAmp or Behringer V-Amp3(reverb is separate) or a Kustom 15H defender for blasting tube sound via speakers or XLR.

IF, and it's a BIG IF, electronics can shrink model stuff(and make a super-efficient power supply for it) to put it on a strap or in a bass with wireless.....things might get really interesting. The Variax stuff is good but slightly lacking.

9. Michael777

Michael777

Feb 22, 2006
    General Manager: Bass Central
    I have found Great Success Going IEM and using the Two Notes Audio Engineering Torpedo LIVE To Run My Suncoast Preamp thru. I still have all my Beloved Ampeg and Just love it, but The Two Notes Stuff sounds so good to me that I need nothing else. The IEM allow for much more precise playing and attention to detail for me personally, But thats not to Say i don't love my Ampeg 810 and SVT VR...HAHAHAHA

Hyper-sloth and ercompa like this.
  10. IMNotWillFerrell

IMNotWillFerrell

Jan 26, 2016
    Orlando
    Biological implant with plasma mist speakers.... I won't tell you where the jack goes. Had a dream about it, must be coming soon.

Tanner5382, Ductapeman and VincentB like this.
  11. I was moved in the past month from mid-sized amp/cab to IEM. Still working on it. I have a GK 500 fusion and GK 212 II NEO cab but the cab may come home later this week. I haven't had it on for two shows now. The band and several in the crowd have said I sound much more focused now - much cleaner. So if that is how it's going I guess I'll go along. I didn't like the IEM buds so I'm using my personal SONY headphones. Mid-sized room w/high ceiling, concrete block structure. 1994 Warwick Fortress 5-string with flats and no pedals. Band has 9 members.

12. Spocky

Spocky

Mar 13, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    From my other interest i think that amplification is heading towards full digital with the ability to mimic the 'tube' analog sound.
    The other interest I have is photography and the fact that we have evolved from film to full digital and the digital cameras now days have higher resolution than the film cameras ever did is an indication of the progress of the technology exceeding the capabilities of the eye.

Now that we have more and more sophisticated modelling techniques of sound (from various sources) I think that increased processing power will lead to SS equipment being the norm (increased versatility and accurate reproduction of sound) as it is more hardy and reliable and can be programmed to do multiple models (thinking of what my little Zoom B3 can do now and thats not particularly over the top in its modelling capability) and ultimately the equipment will be able to assess the cabs/amp combination via internal mics and adapt to get the sound that you want dynamically.

Thats my thoughts anyway :thumbsup:

Cheers Spocky
    EDIT: Typo

13. Happy Face

Happy Face Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Portland, Maine
    No doubt, you also realize that higher resolution in photography is not necessarily better, at least when artistry is concerned. Geez, there's even been fine artists moving back to black and white film! It's nice to be freed from worrying about how much each shot is costing you, but sometimes analog is better in photography. Sometimes not. It's really cool how you can process digital shots. But you lose something as well, no?

Doesn't the same holds in amps? Sometimes analog is better, sometimes digital.

And think about the pushback from all-digital sound processing in studios. What band that can afford it doesn't want to record to tape?

(Pet Peeve: I gotta say I was amazed when I looked at the classifieds last night and saw so many of those lovely Aguilar hybrid heads on sale because a 49 pound head is too heavy. The wimpification of America continues!)

14. CharlyG

CharlyG ~ he not busy being born Is busy dying.

Jun 11, 2005
    West Hills, Ca.
    Maybe it's the apostrophe in the title holding folks back?

15. Happy Face

Happy Face Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Portland, Maine
    Maybe, oldtimer.

16. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Johnny, what is an "IEM"? Thanks TB

17. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    IEM - In Ear Monitor

I wouldn't trust my bass signal to a laptop or mobile phone on stage so I'm forever going to have an amp and cab, option 2 for me.

Edit - I don't usually get PA support so a good amp and cab is a must.

Johnny Crab likes this.
  18. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    this depends on a lot of factors, including what type of music I'm playing, am I using fx (none, conservative, or liberal), and what techniques Im using.....If I absolutely had to, Im a clean guy (most applications) and can pretty much D.I. out of my bass to board (in which the house guy would add a Limiter anyway) and have a send sent back to me in a monitor mix if I absolutely had to and it wouldn't be bad

People who play other styles of music and use the associated techniques, large doses of fx, and/or physical equipment to get a particular sound ( such as natural speaker breakup) will have a harder time with this

It will probably go a lot like guitars in which certain industries will be all virtual data processed, while others (like blues) will still be utilizing the "old fashioned way" of hardware amps.....and still other genres wont be using real bass guitar at all as VSTi programs already exist that sound very authentic(providing the sequence programmer utilizes note progressions a bass player is more apt to play than how a keyboard player will do it with his left hand)

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  19. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Waiting for transducers so I can couple to the floor and walls and not give a $hit about carrying cabinets.

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I'm finding myself lately using the AD200B model in Amplitude I use the exact same settings that are on my real AD200B and it is pretty accurate and so convient.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021