Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is going on with this @#$%^ thing ?!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pacman, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Ok guys, has this ever happened to you? Playing through a familiar rig, regular bass, nothing different, but your bass sounds completely *wrong* and nothing you do gets the sound your want?

This happened to me tonight and I wanted to smash my bass on the stage it was so frustrating! Usual bass (My TRB 6P) familiar PA (same one I've played through at least 6-9 times a month) same direct box, same monitor....completely different (and lousy) tone. Real bad hump at about 800hz, nothing I did helped.

Any ideas? Bad strings? (I've been a full-time pro for almost 15 years, and this has happened a few times, and it always frustrates me......

help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope....

Groove is Everything

Jon Packard http://listen.to/Jon.Packard

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Perhaps this was a different venue? Different rooms soak up and/or reflect different frequencies. This, of course, can drastically change the sound you hear. The only good news is, the same thing is happening to the rest of the band, so you'll all sound "balanced" as you usually do, if different.

Rooms even get known among bassists for problems like this. I heard a story about two bassists talking, one saying he had a gig that night. The other asked where, and the guy said, "the (whatever) room." And the second bassist made a face and said, "Eeew. No mids WHATSOEVER."

3. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    should have mentioned that it was the same room as it always is....large theatre. Also should say that it has *nothing* to do with the room, just the near-field sound of the bass from my monitor wedge.

I ended up changing strings, to a different brand, and the sound is much better....but, still, every once in a while this happens. weird.

Groove is Everything
    Jon Packard
    http://listen.to/Jon.Packard

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Possible cause: bad ear day:D

5. mumbojumbo4

mumbojumbo4

Feb 11, 2004
    Illinois
    that happened to me. was there a bigger difference in number pf people at the gig. That happened to me, but it was a good tone

6. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Have you had a cold? Allergy problems? Sometimes I have that problem when I'm stuffy and it affects my ears and the way I hear things. Just an idea.....

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow. This thread is 3 1/2 years old. Pac doesn't even own that TRB any more.

8. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    no kidding - I'd almost forgotten I ever owned one :D what a blast from the past....

9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Cracks me up how half the people on here NEVER look at the date of a post and answer the question as though it were still valid.

Happens ALL THE TIME :D

I could tell just by reading Pac's post that it was OLD! :D