1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is going on with this??? Wierd vol knob

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wolfkeller, Jun 7, 2017.

1. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I put some fender Jazz bass special pups in an old series 10 bass. I had cool set screw knobs so i grabbed some solid shaft pots. I happen to grab fender no load pots that say vol/tone 250 I believe. They have a detent when fully on.
    I'm lefty so I wire my posts to be reversed, have never had any issues with this.

With this bass, it sounds crazy cool. Soloing the P (it's a p/j) on full has a very Billy Sheehan tone. That real big, very mid and slightly distorted sound. It's huge. When I add the J that goes away quite a bit. The J is very crisp and clean (think Dave ellifson) and it's strange cuz I'm not really using a clean amp.
    These pots have alot of taper, most I ever used. When I turn the volume down, it's like I'm also turning the tone down, definite treble cut and it's very gradual. Thing is, my tone pot isn't connected. It's the same for the J. It's really strange BUT it's very cool and different so I'm not changing it. O wonder why though.

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It's normal to experience some loss of highs when turning down the volume on a passive instrument. It's intrinsic to how a circuit (e.g. passive low-pass filter) such as you'll find in your average guitar or bass works. If you want a better understanding of how it all works on a technical level, download and check out this article by Helmuth Lemme

You can add a "treble bleed" capacitor and resistor to your volume pot to minimize losing some highs when you lower the volume knob. There's several ways to wire it. This is one very common way:

IMG_2574.JPG

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  3. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I've never experienced it to the extent this bass has, when vol is just cracked it's still fairly loud but it's like it the tone is off