What is going on?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FleaisGod, Mar 1, 2001.

1. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey everyone,
    Recently i have been reading all these post about how Ampeg, Eden, etc. Either Aren't reliable, Aren't as good as everyone thinks, or just plain suck. I used to think Ampeg and Eden we're the holy grial of bass amps. Or is this all just personal prefrence? What about Mesa/Boogie and Aguilar? Will these soon be trashed on because they're considered at the top? Clue me in here guys/gals!
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i've heard some reliable, pro guys who have had issues with eden stuff. personally, i really like the way the 410 xlt sounds, it's the only 10" loaded cab that i would play.

on the other hand, i think my rig is killer, but then again, it is pretty unconventional - aguilar db680 preamp, bgw power amp, 4x12" hartke aluminum cone guitar cabs, and yamaha 1x18" subs.

the only thing i plan on changing is the bgw, for some QSC powerlite amps - a lot lighter, and the best sound i've heard.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, Eden, Aguilar, Ampeg, Mesa Boogie are all world class rigs. I do recall a BP review of an Eden rig where the knobs either fell off or practically fell off.

But I think there are a couple things at work in regard to what you're reading/hearing;

-Pro caliber basses and amps are incredibly complicated in terms of how the various components interplay. Inevitably lemons get shipped, particularly in regard to amps. Also, who knows what kind of treatment an amp received while it's being freighted across the country?

Someone receiving a defective amp or one that was damaged in transit is probably going to tell the world about it. There was a study done in the restaurant industry years ago which found that people having a bad dining experience are 5 times as likely to tell friends about it as opposed to good restaurant experiences. I think the same holds true for musical equipment.

- Some people buy high $$$$ gear and think they should automatically sound like whichever bass god they worship. They don't realize that their idol has probably had their gear tweaked, OR, that the gear alone isn't sufficient to keep them from sounding as crappy as they are.
  4. KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    I know a lady who bought a brand new Mercedes and for a year she had it constantly parked in the shop for all problems imaginable. Manufacturing quality is getting better but there is still a margin for error. Plus, have you guys ever seen how this high-end stuff gets shipped? Just like the cheap stuff as far as the transportation company is concerned. Stand next to the backdoor of your favorite music store one day when they're having UPS deliver them a bunch of new gear and you'll see the abuse all this stuff has to withstand.