1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What IS Gospel?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pbassred, May 12, 2006.

1. Aside from the worship aspect.
    What is going on musically? particularly with the bass parts

2. Traditionally it's kinda bluegrassy. Now that I think about it, it's hard to describe. I grew up playing it along with country and oldies and blues - and it certainly took a lot from those formats.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Two different kinds of gospel, cowboy! The other draws heavily from R&B (or is it the other way around?) and is definitely NOT bluegrassy..

4. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    as for the bass part...
    it is everything, it is what was, what is, and what will be.

the spiritual truth expressed with african rhythms are the roots of Gospel music which inturn gave birth to all music that is American.. jazz, swing, blues, soul and R&R among them... with out the driving force of the spiritual aspect the music would not have evolved...

from my own personal experience playing gospel music,you cannot pin it down to any "one thing"

5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Thanks! I'm ready for the audition.

6. I'm SO pleased that there was no European influence!

No really. There is music played at church, and there is an undenyable signature to that particular form of music. Its not just rhythem. There as a tonal relationship.