1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is graduation money generally spent on?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Myrriad, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Myrriad

Myrriad Banned

Oct 11, 2012
    Highschool that is. I started the bass about 6 months ago, and I'm looking at having a Warmoth/Geddy type bass put together. My birthday is also coming up soon, and work+graduation+birthday would net the $1300ish I would need. I'm just wondering if graduation money is supposed to be for college, or for the individual to spend?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1) I would save it if you already have a bass.

2) At your age I would have NEVER taken that advice to heart.

3. Myrriad

Myrriad Banned

Oct 11, 2012
    :p That's kinda my thought process. I've got a Squier VM Jazz and am Ampeg BA110, not a bad setup...but it could certainly improve. It's probably worth mentioning that I'll be doing college all through loans >.> 2 years at a (very cheap) CC, and maybe 2 more at a state school.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My high school graduation money bought me a sweet laptop for college.

It was either that or I was lugging the desktop my parents bought me years prior.

If you already have a laptop, get yourself something nice and shiny, like a bass.

5. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Imo, travel with it or bank it, the reason being that if you're heading off to college you probably won't have "loose money" for the next few years.

I personally regret not traveling and don't see myself being able to afford it for at least a few years and at the same time extra money is always fun in college so it's a tough call.

6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Hookers & Blow.

7. Myrriad

Myrriad Banned

Oct 11, 2012
    The two schools of thought I generally see are:

A) This is to help you pay for college, it'll avoid loans later.

or

B) You won't have free money for the next four years you're in college, and several months after while job hunting, get your last nice thing for 4 years.

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm pretty much with the hookers and blow school of thought.

9. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Mar 25, 2012
    NSW, Australia
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    That goes without saying now, doesn't it Maki?

10. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster

Jul 1, 2008
    I'm with the travel idea. If you're staying local for school (that's usually implied by going to a CC and generic "state college"), you might as well go get a little worldliness under your belt in the form of a summer trip. That's a tight budget for a good one, but you're young and resourceful. Who needs more stuff anyway? And remember that you can always reapply for scholarships and grants after your first year of school; don't think that just because you're going in without any help, you have weather all of college that way. If you work part time while doing CC, you can probably get through it without loans anyway.

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I think you should save the cash. That additional $1300 you take out in loans for school, if you spend the money on a bass, is going to be a larger amount (due to interest) when you have to repay it later on. Plus, it'll help you develop good savings habits early on.

12. I got an Ernie Ball MusicMan for my graduation gift. My parents paid $880 for it.

Other things that they are used for include cars and laptops. If you have a specific hobby (bass, photography, fishing, etc.) many people buy a very nice piece of equipment.

If I got $1300 I'd like to say I'd put at least a couple hundred into some kind of investment but it's a lot harder with that kind of buying power :p

13. Anyone mention hookers and blow? Because you should definitely spend it on hookers and blow.

14. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I bought a nice laptop (waited for it to be on sale though :D ) and put the rest aside for expenditures I knew I'd have during my time in college. ALWAYS apply for everything you can monetary aid wise, even if you think you won't get it. That's what I did and I was surprised what I received! Between presidential scholarships, state and federal aid, a really busy gigging schedule and a possible paid internship in the near future, I haven't had to do the starving student deal like I prepped myself for in high school.

15. Hookers & Blow ftw.

Or keeping it for college, you'll probably be glad you did.

16. The VM is a pretty nice bass, surely you have more pressing needs as a young student. Graduation gifts are a way of helping you on with your life as much as a reward for endeavour.

17. weed and beer

18. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    What's "graduation money"? :p

19. I bought a Squire bass for $200 with my graduation money and proceeded to shape my entire future. I say put it aside and wait. Spend it on something you know will propel towards your future goals. Sounds like you don't really have anything like that in mind right now but it will present itself sooner or later. Travel can be a game-changer, keep that in mind. Hookers and blow? Why would anyone ever have to pay for women, you're a bass player after all.

20. What do you call dating?