1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is Groove?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SidMau, Oct 12, 2013.

1. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    How would you define a groove? What sets a good groove apart from a bad one? Not looking for a standardized answer, just want to know how everyone out there individually interprets what 'groove' is.

2. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Repetitive sonic motion that feels good and easy. Comes in all forms. :D

3. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Groove for me starts at !:19

4. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Feel

5. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    To me, groove is when you are no longer trying to play. You just hear it and it sounds good.

6. For me bass12 hit on a key component, so did Duuuuude. For me it's a feeling of effortless forward motion, a sense of easy propulsion, and an elastic cohesion between the musicians. It feels good!

7. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    It's the feel of the song.

From Wikipedia: Groove is the sense of propulsive rhythmic "feel" or sense of "swing" created by the interaction of the music played by a band's rhythm section (drums, electric bass or double bass, guitar, and keyboards). Ubiquitous in popular music, groove is a consideration in genres such as salsa, funk, rock, fusion, and soul. The word is often used to describe the aspect of certain music that makes one want to move, dance, or "groove".

Characteristic rock groove: "bass drum on beats 1 and 3 and snare drum on beats 2 and 4 of the measure...add eighth notes on the hi-hat".[1] Play (helpĀ·info). Musicologists and other scholars began to analyze the concept of "groove" in the 1990s. They have argued that a "groove" is an "understanding of rhythmic patterning" or "feel" and "an intuitive sense" of "a cycle in motion" that emerges from "carefully aligned concurrent rhythmic patterns" that sets in motion dancing or foot-tapping on the part of listeners. The term "groove" was taken from the groove of a vinyl record, meaning the track cut in the lathe that makes a record.

8. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    Ask Madonna. In the 80's she was urging us to get into it.

9. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    I have no answer for this thread, but I'd like to take this opportunity to derail it and suggest that pedulla-2007 post as much as humanly possible. :bag: :hyper:

Also, avatar changes are henceforth verboten and punishable by extensive dental work w/o anesthesia. :ninja:

Thank you, that is all.

Rob
    :bassist:

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Playing in a way that compliments the rhythmic style of the music.

11. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    It's a rhythmic feel that just draws you along with it. Not necessarily repetitive - at least not 100% accurately - some variation is not only permitted, but actually almost essential. Like the waves on the ocean, that may come from many different directions at once, with different frequencies & amplitudes, yout combined provide a sense of movement beyond what your basic senses can detect.

12. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I can't really define it, but when the drummer and I are in it, we know.

13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1 and I hope he has an answer for everything I post!

14. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Groove is what makes Mustang Sally the classic that it is.

Lack of groove is what makes Mustang Sally sound like crap.

15. Cycho

Cycho

Nov 30, 2010
    You know when the drummer surprises you on the one beat, the guitarist seems to be speeding up, and the soloist seems kind of lost? Groove is the opposite of that.

16. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    Groove to me is when musicians play around the beat rather than robotically on it all the time. Some notes are early, others are on the beat, others are late... some notes are softer or accented... the combination makes a groove. :bassist:

17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I think the sense of "propulsion" or "forward movement" comes closest to describing it. And it's not limited to popular music. My son's cello teacher was explaining it in terms of the Bach cello suites.

18. Thisguy

Thisguy

Sep 28, 2013
    Abilene TX
    I laughed!

Groove is in the heart. Or at least that's what Deee-Light told us in the 90's

19. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Drums and Bass in synchronization creating a smooth, flowing rhythm.

20. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Being in the groove is a little like being in orbit. It goes on and on, moving without effort, and I would be content to ride in it indefinitely. Oh, wait... is that a rut? :D