What is growl?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by vlad335, Jun 14, 2003.

1. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    I hear this term alot on these boards. What actually defines this type of sound?

Any links to recordings that would typify this sound on a bass?
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Certain basses actually do appear to have a low frequency growl similar to let's say a large dog, maybe a rottweiler or a pit bull. Not every note will growl, but the lower notes will. It would certainly be the opposite of higher register playing.

Experts here on equalizing will tell you how to achieve a growl if you have the right sound rig and a good equalizer. I would tend to think that you'd dial out the mids and up the highs and lows, but those who really understand these things might have a better notion of how to achieve it.

As for a song that has a bass growl...for me it is "Outlaw Torn" by Metallica on the "Load" album. I believe that on that album Newsted uses an effect pedal for his bass tone to get that really deep growl, plus he may be tuned down a half tone (ex.:E to E flat) also.

As wierd as it sounds to confess, I just love to hear a growly bass. It is a special thrill for me. Growling is what bass is all about. The two best bass tones for me are the growly bass and the upright acoustic bass.
  3. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Tim Commerford from Rage/Audioslave, his bass is insanely growly. He came to mind because Audioslave is on the radio a lot.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Listen to some Aquarium Rescue Unit CD's as well. Oteil's Modulus 6 has the ultimate growl happening.
  5. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Warwick is especially known for it's growl.

Listen to some Mudvayne, POD, or Trapt to hear some nice Warwick tones.
  6. A Jazz Bass is pretty growly with both pickups wide open and played with a medium-hard touch. :cool:
  7. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    they way i understand it is as such,it was best explained by Rob Efford on the fender video called "PLAYING IN THE STYLE OF FENDERS GREATS". when both jazz pick-ups are turned all the way up they are humbuckers,meaning the hum is cancelled out.but when they pick-ups are played at different volumes,the humbucking disapear's leaving a sound called the fender growl>a low end deep rumbling sound obtained by humbucker pick-ups at different levels of volume. this is how i understand it the easiest, i hope i helped. by the way fender was the inventor of this perticular sound,though it was done by accident,and still to this day its a sound connected to a good fender bass:D
  8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Also check our Queensryche's "Operation: Mindcrime" and "Empire"..

Eddie Jackson has a great growly / grindy tone one those albums!!
  9. I believe that part of the growl comes from the way you play, but also from the pickups, as geezer316 pointed out. But I've never been able to make my SR5 growl like my MIM jazz, and that is why I got rid of it.