1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is happening to Lakland & their service?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mixbus, May 4, 2010.

1. mixbus

mixbus

Apr 20, 2004
    Hi,

I have heard that Lakland is under new ownership. Is it ture?

I tried to order a custom bass from them through my dealer. They refused to do it. It was a hybrid of a few of their models. A 4-94 Deluxe with a Joe Osborne neck, and Bartolini MM/J pickups. I didn't think it that weird. They refused.

I had tried several times to contact them in the past about this & they never got back to me. I guess they are too big to deal with the little guy?

Anyway - thoughts???
    ----

Tom Jancauskas

2. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
  3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Member since 2004. First post today and it's regarding Lakland.

Hmmmmmm.

I'd probably assume what you're asking is beyond what they normally do or are willing to do for a basic order type bass. Did you ever bother to 'call them' and find out for yourself?

For comparison try contacting Fender and or Musicman and request a similar compilation of different models, pickups, etc and see what response/pricing you get.

4. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    I'm not srue.

5. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I'd have to call BS on this one.

A few months ago, I emailed Lakland to ask about an "off the list" optioned bass. In less than 24 hours, I got a response - and a price - from Dan himself.

6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    are you surely?

7. mixbus

mixbus

Apr 20, 2004
    I did just see it after I posted the first time.

I have ordered custom stuff from them before. It hadn't been a problem.

All I wanted is for them to take a stock neck & put it on another body. Not rocket science. I guess it's time to find something else.

I like their instruments for the most part. I just didn't like their "standard" model configurations.
    --
    Tom

8. mixbus

mixbus

Apr 20, 2004
    BS to me or Lakland?

I tried 3 different times to contact them about this PLUS asking my dealer. My dealer was the only one to get back to me.

---
    Tom

9. They generally dont toy with artist models too much... usually due to the agreement with the artist. Thats been my experience through the years...

10. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    its because the JO has a different neck heal, and a different length than that of the 4-94. so it would create intonation problems as well.its just beyond what they are willing to do.

but you could ask them to slim the 1.6" down to a 1.5" on the standard 4-94 neck.

you should really get all your facts together before bashing the service of MY favorite bass company :D

11. mixbus

mixbus

Apr 20, 2004
    I have a US Bob Glaub with a Joe Osborne neck, ebony fingerboard & P/J pickups that they did for me a couple of years ago. So when I wanted the new configuration, I didn't think it would be a problem...

I have owned probably 6 or 7 Laklands. US models, imports etc...

I guess if they don't want to to it, I'll just find someone else to take my money. I may just have my luthier/guitar builder guy make the bass I want instead of having Lakland do it. It would be more work, time & money than the Lakland, but at least he can do it.

Thanks guys...

12. mattygbass

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    you are asking them to completely reshape the heal of the neck. its not rocket science its a pain in the A$$.

its like putting a block where a circle should go.

13. mattygbass

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    those 2 necks are interchangable, the 4/94 body is not compatable with the JO neck.

14. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Nothing personal, but yeah.. I was calling BS on your claim. :smug:

Every time I've dealt with them (either through my dealer or directly) they've gone out of their way to help me.

YMMV, of course, but they've always treated me like royalty (and I'm a nobody!).

15. mixbus

mixbus

Apr 20, 2004
    Well - OK. I though they could do it, but I can see why. I was under the impression that they could do more there than just assemble necks & bodies. I thought it would be a pain, but not impossible to do. I have had several custom basses made (not just from Lakland) This is the first I have run into a "no".

Sorry to have ruffled some feathers...

16. mattygbass

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    my feathers arent ruffled, i just wanted you to know why they wouldnt do it, wich they should have done rather than given you a straight up no.

17. mixbus

mixbus

Apr 20, 2004
    In this case my milage does vary. To me - they have been the most non communicative company I have ever dealt with.

I have no agenda. I just wanted a bass & the dealer said they couldn't do it. I thought it weird and wanted to ask here what might be up. Now I know.

I'll just look into the option of having my luthier build me one. It'll take about 3-4 years do to his schedule, but at least he can do it.

Thanks

18. mattygbass

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    they can do more than just assemble necks and bodies.they do all the fretwork and electronic installation, and they can slim neck(that fit) also, i know in the past they have put a DJ neck on a 4-94 body, because the heals are the same(or close enough)

19. mixbus

mixbus

Apr 20, 2004
    Thank you. That's what I thought. Things chance I guess.

20. *OR* you could get them to re-shape another neck to match the one you want, as is mentioned above.

Just a thought.