1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is Hi fi and Vintage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Mar 2, 2004.

1. I think for my next gig, I'll take a pair of K'Horns:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
    33Hz-17kHz± 3dB
    SENSITIVITY:
    104dB @ 1watt/1meter
    MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 121dB SPL

I'm only 1/2 kidding - Any one tried this [or something like it]?

2. Don't those things have to go in a corner? :meh:

3. Ideally, one could set two in a single corner, on upside down on top of the other for tweeter alignment ... but the "stack" would be almost 9' tall because the units are each close to SVT size (but only 100 lbs each ;) ), not to mention delicate - def' not road gigging material ...

If you still wanted to, however there is the alternative of using False Corners - basically construct one 4' high x 4' (each speaker side, then x 2 for stereo).

I heard the Dead tried Klipsch one time (which one's I do not k ow - ask Rick Turner, he stated it), but then gave it up - although I would guess that was a dang guit' player's decision and not a bass player's.

Actually - for crappers and grins, I will just try it. I really never considered it seriously, but hey - it's not that troublesome ... turns out I have a set in the garage I am building false corners for - it'll be a couple more weeks but remind me to give you an opinion then. You buy your own coffee.

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    A Ford Model T is different than a '57 Chevy yet they are vintage cars. An Ampeg B-15 may be the sound you are after or maybe an SVT. Quite different huh? Clear representation of your instrument is not good or bad. Coloration of your instrument is not good or bad. Make music, type into Talkbass less, practice, listen, play with others, get out of your head and hear the music with ears and heart. Remember in the bass genre, technology has advanced the production and quality of the presentation of the bass. Go play an open back 4x10 Bassman at a gig and see what I mean.

5. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I thought that the scooped-mid sounds was what people called "Modern Bass Tone," not hi-fi.

6. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    people can speculate that hifi = such and such setup and vintage = such and such other setup... IMO, that is a false generalization..

IMO, hifi is full spectrum of frequencies, vintage is sortof more of a bassy response.. almost like the difference between the rolloff of frequencies (comparisson) between pasive or active treble...

just my opinion, could say more on the matter but gotta rip to buddies for a bedtime gooney rocket ;)

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Kind of interesting that every manual I've ever read that came with an amp or pre-amp, that mentions settings for a "hi-fi" sound, they show settings for scooped mids.

It's clear to me that the definition of "hi-fi" is subjective.

8. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    I would prefer an other descriptions for a sonic differentiation of bass amplification:
    Character on the one side and High End on the other side. Charakter stands for i.e Ampeg and High End for Glockenklang. Two different philosophies of bass amplification. Ampeg wants to crate a typical sound which is added to the sound of the bass, but many details of the bass sound get lost. Tube grind and Harmonics were added. On the other hand Glockenklang wants to amplify all the details of the bass sound with no coloration.

These two are the extremes. Between them there are all the other 100 amp companies. Different styles need different sounds. There is no room for good or bad. Only better suited or not. The companies offer us such a great variety of products. We have to choose the equipment which sounds to our ears best.

I think Tube Amps are better suited to the classic bass guitars as Jazz Bass, Precision, Stingray…

Modern (accurate) Bass Amplification suites better to high detailed sounding basses as Ken Smith, Fodera, MTD…

9. As is any tone. Heck, I think McCartney's White Album tone goes more to Hi-Fi than Vintage.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hey BGavin...when you're at a concert, do elbow the guy next to you to tell them that you just heard a loudspeaker exceed Xmax? :D

11. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord Supporting Member

Nope, it's quite clearly defined:

"An approximately exact reproduction of sound, acheived by the use of a wide range of sound waves."
    -Websters New 20th Century Dictionary.

"The electronic reproduction of sound, especially from broadcast or recorded sources, with minimal distortion."
    -Dictionary.com

"the production by electrical equipment of very good quality sound that is as similar as possible to the original sound."
    -Cambridge Dictionaries Online

It's been bastardized like so many other technical terms.

12. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Absolutly brother. I just bought a new cartridge (needle) for my Well Tempered. I still prefer the sonics of many of my remastered records even over SACD/DVD-A. One of the best parts about being older is having many records that may never make it to digable. Yeah it's real trippy.

13. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord Supporting Member

I should also point out that distortion is any change in the frequency response between the input and the output of a device. So adding EQ is actually distorting the input signal, but it isn't distortion in the fuzz/clipping sense.
    All realizable components add colouration/distortion to any input signal. Speakers are actually the worst offenders. Even the 'flattest' speaker system has frequency and phase anomolies.

14. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Don't count us young guys out. My band just released a record on vinyl! Comes in clear red, clear blue, and grey marble swirl. Its still alive and kickin in the punk/hardcore scene (mainly due to its low cost nowadays).

-Jason

p.s. About a month ago i found Miles Davis, Bitches Brew on vinyl at a second hand store for a buck!

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Vinyl is still very much alive among those shiny-nylon-pant-wearing-pill-popping-jukeboxes we call DJ's.

16. Nope.

I play at concerts, I don't attend them.

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

*Ba-Dum CRASH*

Buuuuuurrrrrnnnnn :D:D:D:D

18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Touche' :)

19. jbass67

jbass67

Nov 17, 2003
    hi-fi = Chris Squire
    vintage = James Jamerson

hard analogy to describe

20. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Man...I don't know that I'd call Chris Squire's tone Hi-Fi....bright and grindy for sure but not Hi-Fi. I believe that he used to use guitar amps and cabinets to get enough treble and grit.

For me, I guess I'd describe Victor Wooten's tone as Hi-Fi. Or any bassist with a set up that can produce clean deep low end and clean extended high end yet still has midrange too... So Fieldy isn't Hi-Fi because he has no mids...