1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is Hi fi and Vintage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Mar 2, 2004.

1. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    For myself, I'd divide bass sound into the categories below.

Vintage : 1950's - 70's. Tubby, thumping tone, lots of low-mids and not much high-end or low-lows. This was probably a function of the equipment available at the time (Fender, Gibson, Ampeg, Marshall, etc..) rather than any preferences.

Modern : Starting in the 80's. The scooped sound. I'd peg it at the introduction of cabs with tweeters (SWR).
    The modern sound didn't supplant the vintage sound, it's just another choice (edit: obviously some day the "modern" scooped sound will be vintage...)

Hi-Fi : Starting in the late 90's (?). Full range, or "Flat", from low B upwards. Full range meaning little coloration is added to the sound by by the equipment. Acme, Accugroove and EA come to mind.

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Why are we answering this? Oh, nice breakdown BenF. Your critique was unbiased, clear, contemporary, uncolored, and so maybe "HiFi".

3. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Sunnyvale, CA.
    Engineer: AccuGroove Speakers & Amps
    With a well designed & very accurate bass speaker, you will you hear the true sound of your bass (like it would sound through headphones). In addition, you have the tonal flexibility to dial in the vintage sound as well; in other words, the best of both worlds.

However, with a great sounding vintage speakerÂ…well thatÂ’s about it. Let me also say that not every cabinet out there that is called Hi-Fi, can be a chameleon in this regard, but there are those that can.

Mark
    AccuGroove.com