What is hip?(how does he do it?)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JimM, Nov 12, 2002.

1. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    How does Rocco Prestia (I assume its him)get that percussive thing going?anyone ever watch him play,I'd love to steal those chops (if poss.)
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Lots o Practice.. he is extremely steady with his rythem.
  3. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Guess I better quit my day job so I can practice eh?

On second thought...I'd better not ;)
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another key is use of left and right hand muting. To get that percussive tone, you have to cut the notes off. Or at least I do.
  5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I did a Showroom gig here in Vegas where the band did "Hip" as a instrumental openner........at about twice the original tempo :eek: .

I'd been playing the song for years so I was able to do it but what a workout!!!

I guess they forgot to consult the bassplayer (me) when they decided to throw this into the show at a rehearsal that I missed while doing another gig.
  6. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London

he performs that song, aswell as an indepth explanation of his 'mute note' technique (not slapped) on the bass day video featuring himsef ; 'francis rocco prestia live at bass day 98'
  7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    .....as well as on his instuctional video "Rocco Prestia-Fingerstyle Funk".
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

My uncles band did that to me with "Soul Man"... not AS impressive... but at twice the original tempo, it's a bit of a workout for me.
  9. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Steady, but not too steady. He playes very fluently, if you know what I mean. He is not actually locked in, but flows with the rhythm.
  10. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The funk band I was in (still am I guess... for two more shows) plays "What is Hip?". Key to it, like any really fast 16th note groove, is to play short, clear notes. Rocco uses his left hand to mute the strings to do this, I use a combination of my left and right hand... very hard to explain, much easier to show. Sorry... Best thing I can tell you is to practice, a lot.

I have a recording somewhere of us doing this song at about 129bpm, the drummer was really excited that night and was counting everything off way too fast. Album tempo is 104bpm.. the "Live & In Living Colour" version from TOP is about 112bpm if I am remebering correctly; and that's the fastest I've ever heard Tower play it. 129bpm was retarded.