What is important in a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Tyro, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Tyro

Oct 4, 2002
    Asheville, NC
    I am assuming that many of you here have had formal lessons under at least one teacher. What, then, impressed you as the most important factors in choosing a teacher? His experience? His teaching style? His playing style? If you were faced with several possibilities, what would tip the scale for you?
  2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Well, I think teaching style encompasses a lot. If the teacher has a style that gets the information from his brain to yours, then that's what is important. Some one could be the best player in town, but if he/she can't explain themselves very well, what good is that?

Chris A.:rolleyes:
    those who can, do, those who can't, teach.
    I teach.:eek:
  3. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I've had 2 teachers in my little over 2 years of playing bass (old teacher moved away this past Spring).

What impressed me the most about my old teacher was his ability to play just about anything. Although he even admited my site reading was better than his :)D) he could still play anything. I've only seen him perform once in public and was blown away. My new teacher is friends with him and he told me that this guy could just solo the heck out of a jazz tune. He's tremendous at improvisation. That's something I admire and wish I could do.

He had a great teaching style. We worked a lot out of the book for the most part but towards the end we strayed and started on chord charts. He was always helpful and never went any fruther till I had things down pat. He got strict when he needed to and we also had a lot of fun. I learned so much from him.

His own playing style? LOL I would call it Jaco meets Les Claypool :D

Anyway, I've only had my new teacher since the Spring so it's hard to determine some things. I like him, though, and am learning lots from him and am very happy to have him as a teacher, as I was nervous when I heard I was getting a new teacher.

I have one word to describe both of my teachers though: eccentric :D Ahhhh gotta love em :)

By the way, I found this thread in a search on what makes a good teacher maybe you'd like to read:

I know I had one where I posted in it but now I can't find it LOL
  4. Tyro

Oct 4, 2002
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks. Stephanie. I actually did a search on "teacher" and didn't find that thread, but's just what I was looking for. Good advice.
  5. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    IMO someone who doesnt do a lot of 'showing off' i.e. playing what you cant play. or wont be able to for a long while at least... its too distracting and the student becomes to distracted by the teachers seemingly jimi hendrix like abilities to devote 100% of attention to learning what they CAN do....

i think they should only show you, and play things in examples that are on your level.

after all you dont learn calculas at the same time your learning your times tables as an example of 'what can be done with this math technique'

but thats just my opinion and exp. yours is likely different