1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is included in a "press kit"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GKon, Jun 11, 2014.

1. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hiya Folks,

I've never had to prepare or have even seen what is included in a band's press kit.

What are the typical things included?

How about atypical, but also a good idea?

Thanks.

2. Do bands even do press kits anymore? I would think a well-crafted online presence trumps the old-fashioned press kit in the mobile, connected 21st century.

But since you asked, the old-school press kits would include a demo tape, 8x10 glossy photo(s) of the band (imprinted with booking contact info), and printed band bio, gig history, song list, testimonials, newspaper/magazine tear sheets. Buttons, badges, stickers, too. All this would be inside a custom-imprinted pocket folder.

TO kick it up a notch, a band might include some sort of custom gimmick to make them stand out. You could do anything from imprinted frisbees to fake vomit to an iPod shuffle loaded with music by the band. Overall packaging and theme might tie into a new LP release or upcoming tour.

Whatever gets the band remembered (for the right reasons, with hope), works.

Hope that helps.

bluesdogblues likes this.
  3. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for the detailed response. I really appreciate it.

I was asking more out of curiosities sake than anything else. I stumbled upon a 17 step "How To Make Sure Your Band Is Successful blah blah blah" page that was on my newsfeed on facebook. One of the steps mentioned having a good and professional looking press kit. It made me wonder what that would consist of.

Taking a guess, I was pretty spot on, given the things you mention.

Here in Greece, as things are a bit "behind the times" let's say, and because folks are typically impressed with "American" stuff (in certain regards) and with things that are unknown or uncommon here, yet considered professional and impressive, such as a press kit, it may be something for me to consider with booking gigs.

Thanks again!

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Most places prefer Electronic Press Kits. These usually include links to websites, photographs, sound clips, etc. If you do a Google search you should be able to get some ideas.

5. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks, Kmonk. I appreciate the info.

I currently have a facebook page with some photos, sound clips and band information.

As we solidify our lineup (we are a new band) and get more photos, some video and better sound clips, I'll be updating it and, eventually, create a dedicated webpage, if necessary.

6. A facebook page is a solid foundation for your band's marketing efforts. From there, a website -- but don't do it half-assed. The better your website looks, the better your band will look.

7. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for the info.
    I have both for my "regular" job, which are what bring me 99% of my business, so I'm definitely hip to that.
    The other 1% is word of mouth, or people that walk by and see us

8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    logo, in action photo, group shot, web links, bio, t shirt designs, and flyer images

we play museums and art galleries though, so this might be overkill for little clubs or dive bars

9. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I am not sure where, but you can purchase custom imprinted usb drives. Put all your stuff on it and pass it out to club owners or anyone else that might offer a booking. It will have your band name, logo, and phone number on the outside.
    Another advantage of this is an age old sales concept that you give prospects something valuable enough they don't want to throw it away. So even if they wipe the drive and use it, they will still have your contact info on it.

GKon and DocGeorge like this.
  10. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    The little clubs and dive bars version should contain band-aids, asprin, barf bags (with your logo), and a business card from a bail bondsman.

GKon, mpdd and DocGeorge like this.
  11. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
  12. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
  13. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Sure thing.

14. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    That's a good idea! And, I know where to get them. I'll look into it

Edit:In reference to the USB drives. My TB forum is acting up.

15. We stopped bothering with them when we started doing everything online.

Basically a press kit should include things like bio and history including venues you've played and national recording artists you've opened for. Kinda of like a resume. Also include band pictures and music. All of this stuff should be included online anyways wether it's simply a social media site like Facebook or a your own page

GKon likes this.
  16. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for the info!

We are still new, so not much to report other than photos, and some recordings we've uploaded on soundcloud.
    I'll make sure to add stuff as we grow.