What is input voltage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ostinato, Mar 8, 2005.

Input voltage is:

Poll closed Apr 7, 2005.
  1. CMRR

0 vote(s)
  2. Input sensitivity

2 vote(s)
  3. In/Out gain

0 vote(s)
  4. Power Consumption

0 vote(s)
  5. None of the above

1 vote(s)
  1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    This is so embarrasing :oops: I'm selling some items on a certain online auction, and a potential bidder has asked me what the input voltage of my amplifier is. Ummm... so what is it? Is it:

Input sensitivity?

In/Out gain?

Power Consumption?
  2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's sort of an odd question worded just like that, I think, but what comes to my mind is that he's asking what input voltage gives full output power. I think that would be somewhat different for different loads on the output.

..So in more direct answer to your question, it would relate to input/output gain - but the amp is converting an input VOLTAGE (high-Z input) to a POWER outupt (low Z-out). I'd think a 'normal' answer would be something like "pro line level" (usually known as "+4") or... what do they say?.. like 'home stereo level' (called "-10" usually, right?).

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Proably "sensitivity" is what your buyer is asking about. It's the input voltage needed to drive the amp to full power. Usually, in most cases, for a power amp, it's around a volt or so. There should be a spec in the manual, and sometimes it's even printed right on the backplate.
  4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Thanks :smug: . I suspected it had something to do with input sensitivity so I ended up taking the specs right from the owners manual. :D