What is it about bass??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lowner, May 26, 2005.

1. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I have played the guitar for the last 4 years and just switched to bass. But I never had this much fun playing the guitar. Also with the bass, I want to learn all I can about the bass, bass theory and past bass players and everything else bass related. I am entertaining the idea to sell my guitars to get more basses.I'm kinda attathed to my strats, though.

All this has gotten me thinking,what is it about the bass that makes it so much fun to play?
  2. Have you heard the theory that it's a phallic thing? That deep in our subconscious, we play bass because it means our manhoods are bigger than those of guitarists.

Seriously though, it's all about the groove. :ninja:
  3. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I dont think its about my manhood, cause I'm a woman.
  4. I started off as a drummer and I picked up bass initially to get an insight into what the bassist was doing to help me "lock in" with the groove.

What fascinates me about bass is the rhythmic aspect of the playing as well as laying down all those sweet, rich fundamental tones that just make music so sweet.
  5. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Initially, I loved the fact that no one else I knew did it, and that the room started vibrating if I was loud enough. There's more to it now, but those two thrill factors still remain.
  6. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I think it's that those low notes are not merely heard, but also felt. Bass is quite visceral that way. I was a baritone horn player in the school band and was always around the bass instruments so my ear always gravitated to the low tones. I wasn't much of a wind instrument player and bass guitar was something I always wanted to play. I now play because I'm so addicted and I love the feeling of a bass nestled against my body. Almost a huggable/cuddlable instrument.
  7. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    To me, bass is...well..... the most important instrument in the world of music. There has been said so much about that subject that i can't think of saying anything that haven't been covered before ;).

I've actually played guitar longer than bass, and focus on my guitar just as much as my bass playing, but there's just something about the challenges about playing bass that keeps me favoring it. On bass, you have total control over the musical piece, you hold the groove, the fundamental notes, and yet you can play it solo too!

8. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    ya im pretty much the same way except i used to play the alto sax and then migrated to the baritone sax. Most of the time me and the bass player would basically play in unison hahahaha..... Just kind of fell in love with the bottom end of the band haha... you know what they say...you need a strong foundation!... without us... they would sound really cheesy... Bass players are needed. Later I decided to migrate to the bass guitar since I wouldnt have to blow all the time and not have a 15 pound instrument hang from my neck and have more variety of music to play...
  9. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Humm, when i play my uncle's 15 pound jazz bass copy, i blow all the time, too!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :D :D :D
  10. Lowner, I know the feeling (bass player, not being a woman). I'm a guitar and piano player who only took up the bass a few months ago. I too can't explain it but I love the bass more than any other instrument I've ever tried. I don't think it's fallic, I think it's deeper than than, that primal urge to make the walls shake, to feel the thump in the chest, simply being able to "feel" the beat. It's a cool feeling.
  11. IcoHolic

Aug 31, 2004
    Sometimes aiming low is better. The bass is just sexy. I personally chose the instrument when I was 12 and heard "School Days" for the first time and wondered what that amazing sounding instrument was.
  12. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    haha my english is bad today

I meant like blow as in blow the horn not like blow as in suck.
  13. hahaha, that made me laugh really hard
  14. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Yeah, i understood what you meant.... sorry, just me trying to be funny! :hyper:

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I wrote in the TB newsletter a few months ago about why I'm in the game.

It has grown into an unhealthy obsession with everything bass, but I chose the electric bass guitar because of it's power. I just love a loud bass that can knock you in the chest enough to make you gasp for breathe... and that split second of panic that's just like drowning... in the tone :bassist:

:cool: I <3 Bass :cool:
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, Lowner.

I don't know how to define what 'it' is about bass, but I feel it too. I love to play drums and guitar, and wish I was a better piano player.

But none of them gives me the feeling or pleasure of playing bass.

Moved to Miscellaneous.
  17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I just really like the sound I guess.

+1 on the bass = sexy comment.
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ignore that Blisshead guy, he doesn't have an avatar.
  19. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    I like being able to hear and feel the bass, like everybody else. there are also unlimited sexual comments about the bass, like how our wood is longer than guitarists :p , or how we dont need to wham our bars(both of which have been used in arguments ;) )