1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is it about playing in a band.........

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Sep 28, 2009.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    What is it about playing in a band that turns grown and responsible adults into self-centered, immature brats?

It doesn't happen everywhere, but I've seen it happen enough to wonder why. Any ideas?

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Because when you join a band, you're not just becoming a part of a group of musicians, but you're also becoming part of a bicker family.

3. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    It's all the jealousy, frustration, and back-biting you get from a sexual relationship without the sex. (Where's Freud when you need him?)

Just look at Metallica - or even their "evil ex-wife" Dave Mustaine!

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I find those 'self-centered, immature brats' are usually not just that way with the band, but all the time... with their wives, kids, families, friends, etc. Theyre just tools.

5. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    1. It's what rock and roll does to ya

2. It's called playing for a reason. Most of the musicians I've known are musicians because they are ill suited for most other career paths.

3. Artistic people are usually goofy.

6. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Lol.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Ego. Striving for cheap glory. Tolerance for dysfunctional behavior implied by "the artist mystique". Booze and drugs... :rolleyes:

MM

8. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Or as we like to say: Douche bags.

There are plenty of them here in Montana.

9. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    Being in a band is kind of like being in a marriage. The differences being there's usually no sex in the band, and you typically spend more than one rehearsal time auditioning a spouse.

I agree that being in a band doesn't change people though. The tools were tools before they joined the band. You just didn't necessarily see it.

10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    There you go :D

11. J-Razz

J-Razz

Sep 24, 2009
    KS
    we would get along better if everyone would just do everything MY WAY!

12. +1 for ego. Funny how the worst players usually seem to have the biggest ego's, isn't it?

13. Hahahha this +e^(999999999)

14. I have a "friend" whose so self centred, he actually makes himself out to be this great guitar guru despite not even knowing how to use his equipment right. Tries to pass off as "better than you" because he studies a music course (in performance mind you...) at a private college. Funny thing is he has mad stage fright and has never played in front of a group bigger than 5 people...and on that one occasion he nearly fainted.

He's like that with everything else too. He reckons because he's a musician everyone gives a crap about his life and/or personal life. Like socialleper posted in here earlier..."Most of the musicians I've known are musicians because they are ill suited for most other career paths". He's completely hollow and can't hold a conversation without somehow coming back to bragging about his guitar/rig/course. And when he DOES talk about something else, he won't listen to what you say...just get his "opinion" in and disregard everything else.

Tools. They're everywhere.

15. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Very funny!

16. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    RAMPANT among lead singers, in my experience.

I'm not sure that these types of narcissistic, huge egos weren't already that way when they decided to play music.

17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    An you call him a Friend? People like that crack me up. I think they read way into the whole I am a rock star lifestyle with out having a shot or a clue at living it. I have about .5 seconds for them in my life. You will find allot of these folks...homeless, sleeping on others couches, basements etc , living with parents into thier adult years. Unemployed, broke, addicted, mootching off anyone who will allow it. They are clueless allowing life to pass them by chasing dreams that will never be :rolleyes:

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think what it is.........is that deep inside, there are different levels of commitment, actual skill, desire to play with 'good' musicians as opposed to just 'playing', etc.

I'll speak for myself! Many times I get in situations where most of the musicians have NO idea how to play in an ensemble setting. Meaning knowing how to blend in and create a solid sonic balance. Also I encounter musicians who just don't do their homework or practice their instrument except when they come to rehearsal. Also, there are musicians/singers who really believe they have 'pro' talent when they REALLY DO NOT and act like primadonnas or stars! Then you have your drinkers and druggers. You have those with no transportation or gear/poor gear! These are the main issues that bug the hell outta me!

19. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    Because making music is a personal statement. Everyone wants to be loved, and muscians are no exception. The whole thing introduces a level of vulnerability not experienced in other parts of life. Some people do well with it but many don't. It seems that musician personality profiles do not follow the usual bell shaped curve of personality type distribution. Instead, the distribution is flat, to the point where anything near normal is in the minority, and there is an emphasis on the extremes. Go figure.

20. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    That's pretty much it!