What is it about StingRays????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I dont get it! Ive tried multiple ones and theres nothing there for me. Is it the tone? The slappability?

I must admit, I have yet to get my hands on a 5, but the 4's leave much for me to desire though. Then again, what kind of tone should I be expecting out of them, because each one has been different for me. I want to see this so called "light" here, but someone hold my hand :p

For now, I just assume, that my chemistry just isnt for this bass.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Popularity", IMO. The seem mandatory for all the nu metal guys, just like PRS's are for so many of the guitarists of that genre.

I like them a lot. But considering the prices of new ones and the fact that the design hasn't advanced much since Ball made some early improvements, there's other basses for the same/less money these days that take them to school, IMO.
  3. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I play my 4 & 5 exclusively. There is no other bass for me right now. Even my beloved 4001 stays home on the weekends (sorry rickbass!). But, like we say in the Navy "whatever floats your boat". 'Rays may just not be your thing, but they sure are mine.
  4. That's why they make so many brands.
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    It's the sound. You either get it or you don't.

Sometimes a bass will connect and sometimes it won't. I own a Musicman and a Warwick, both brands have their detractors. I've also tried Sadowski and Lakland basses expecting the earth to move and I prefer my Stingray 5.

This doesn't mean that they are bad basses or even that I don't like them. I just am not inclined to trade my basses for them.
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I dunno... i've had a great time with Stingray basses.. they have their own tone.. just like the Fender P or J have their own tone... but the Stingray's tone is a "Signature Tone".. its that growl u get from the Stingray (a la Tony Levin)

7. I don't know what it is about Stingrays either. I just don't like them. Call me wierd or crazy, but I'm not much of a fan of the Ray, the Sterling, or the Ray 5. Of the three, the Sterling is my favorite, but I'm not jumping for joy over any of the Ernie Ball basses.

But thats just me. Sit me down with a nice 4 string P bass or Jazz, and I'm a happy man.
  8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Not every bass is for everybody. The stingrays have their tone. I know some guys that don't like P basses, some don't like J basses. What you like is what you like. Find a bass with the tone you have in your head, buy it and play the he!! out of it. BTW I love my Ray5
  9. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It sounds good for every style I play, and cuts through the mix live. It has a great EQ, a humbucker, and a great neck.

I could care less if the design hasn't changed, I don't know why anyone bangs that drum, to me if it aint broke...

Then again, I am one of those guys that think that the basses from the 50's and 60's are the #$@#, although I wouldn't buy one cuz they're like old or something now...so I get one with an old (i.e. proven) design and versatility.

But like several people have said, to each his own, and you have every right to like whatever the heck basses you want. I certainly am not going to convince anyone otherwise.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    They're well-made, easy-to-play and offer a sound that fits a number of modern styles. Despite the "one-trick pony" myth that gets repeated so often, they're quite versatile and work well with any number of rigs. What's not to like? I don't play fours anymore but I've kept two Ray5's and always appreciate them when I take them out on gigs.