Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is it about the Epifani UL210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ric426, Nov 9, 2005.

1. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I've yet to see any UL210's on the used market. Is it because the people who have them like them so much that they're not parting with them, or is it that it's not a very popular model so there just aren't as many around? I was planning on getting one to go with a UL112 that should arrive today, but given my tendency toward sudden G.A.S. attacks, I'd rather not have to buy a new one and lose money later if I sell it. Of all the various Epifani combinations I've read about, the UL112 & UL210 combo seems the most interesting to me, though I'm still open to other set ups. I'm trying to lighten my rig and basses and still keep a good sound (old school fingerstyle, mostly 4 string).

2. I found my Epi210UL to sound great.... but... it is only slightly smaller and lighter and a little less expensive than the 310UL.... which sounds much bigger. I sold my 210UL and now use a 310UL for smaller gigs, and a 410UL for everything else. Given the 5.3 ohm rating of the 310UL, it can be difficult to pair with another cab. I would consider another UL112 to round out your rig.... everyone who's ever posted about that combo raves about it's size to volume and tone ratio.

3. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    kjung,
    how do you think a pair of epifani 210ul's would sound? would it be similar to the 410ul, or would they have a different sound? i have a sedan, and i can't fit most 410s in my trunk.

4. I know you love your Epifanis, so with my UL-502 head, is it possible to use TWO Epifani cabs with it? I read somewhere that adding a secondary cab is not possible. Could I use TWO, 2X12 cabs in stereo with my head?

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    when i put up my pair of UL210's in the TB emporium, they were literally snatched up withint 10 min. of my post. like a buncha piranhas! :eek: :D

but i was a little sore i didnt at least keep one of them. soooo small, light, and incredibly loud for a little cab. and its Low B handling was superb.

like KJ, however, i went ahead and got a UL310, which i adore. literally the numero uno "big" cab i use. you could use the 1x12 as a small solution, and the 310 as your "kick out the jams" solution.

6. I use a pair of 210UL's. I don't shop for cabs anymore.

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You can use a pair, no problem... just get the 8-ohm models as the 502 does 4-ohms minimum.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, for those that dont know, the Epi head only has one speaker output. but never fear, Nick likes to daisy chain his cabs. so plug cab 1 into the head, and plug cab 2 into cab 1. easy peasy. :)

or you could run a line from the "preamp out" and into a separate power amp to control which cab gets what.

9. Interesting on the 502 only having one output... but like other's have said... daisychaining the cabs works the same way.

I have not heard or played tow 210UL's together, but would assume it would be awesome, and similar to the 410UL.

10. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    FWIW, I asked Nick this same question when I was deciding between the 210 and 410 about a year ago. His response was that the pair of 210s would sound bigger/deeper than the single 410 due to the fact that there would be more physical volume with 2 cabs... also keep in mind that a pair of 210s has two tweeters.

11. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    In another post, you mentioned that though they were light, they were a pain to haul up three flights of stairs and I got the sense you didn't really miss them.

Can you clarify? Thanks.

12. Awesome news. Thanks guys. I just might need to investigate the newer 2X12s and 3X10s a littler deeper before I head to Europe in the Spring. ;)

JT

13. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    good point!

14. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I know this wasn't directed to me, but I use a small collapsable hand cart (they can handle 200 lbs.) strap my cabs down and take them anywhere, even up and down stairs.

15. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Hey Ken, I've always daisychained my cabs. I used (still have them in the spare room for now) two Epi 210's and they'er a killer together, I went with the 410 UL for simplicity and takes up less space in my car. The tone is still great and plenty powerful enough for any gig.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, carrying one is fine. but having to carry both stacked on one another at the same time was ridiculous. and i'm not too big of a guy, so trying to carry one on each arm wasnt an option. my UL310 fares much easier. ;)