1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is it about the guitar?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by peteybass, Nov 4, 2013.

1. peteybass

peteybass Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Roseville, CA
    Been married about 6 years with two kids. Love my wife but after a long day of work and kids there isnt much left sometimes in the romance department.

I practice bass every night and my wife is very cool and supportive of music but never says a word. I pull out my guitar amp the other night and start playing to backing tracks, Rock, Jazz and some Santana stuff. I am not that good and could probably barely get by in a bar band as a rhythym guitarist.

So anyway after playing for about 15 minutes she comes in the music room and says how good it sounds and she loves guitar. Lets just leave the story there. Sorry to get so personal but it cracks me up the way Women sometimes react to Guitars and Lead Singers.

Stupid story but hey who else can I share this with :)

2. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Yep. It's not just women. People in general go crazy over guitar. The guitar player can be playing stuff way simpler, way less musical than the bassist, and people will still ignore the latter in favor of the former. What can I say? People are idiots ...

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

4. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hell, I'm a bass player but I even think the guitar is cool as hell!

5. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    People are indeed idiots, but that's not what's happening here.

There is a certain range of pitches that humans respond to more than others, at least in terms of melody (and harmony, not counting bass motion).

That's why melodies throughout history have been played by violins, alto saxes, trumpets, clarinets, etc.

The same thing that makes our instrument of choice wonderful (the thick powerful sound, each note sounding HUGE) is what makes it less attractive and exciting for most people to listen to, especially at low volumes.

6. I do. It's just the way it is. I remember another thread where the jist of it was if anyone compliments your bass playing, you're too loud!

7. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Ah: correlation is not causation ...

;)

8. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Caucasian??? I don't see the need to bring race into it! :bassist:

9. peteybass

peteybass Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Roseville, CA
    Yep you are right not just Women but people in general. Thats interesting about the range of pitch and makes sense.

10. themensch

themensch 25 years of bass

Sep 11, 2008
    Wine Country, OR
    I think your bass amp just isn't big enough. Once the low end rumble permeates the fun parts, the ladies will flock to you.

11. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Don't go there, man ...

;)

12. southpaw723

southpaw723

Oct 20, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    guitar is just a lot prettier to listen to in my opinion. the constant lows of bass dont really compare to the range of the guitar. this is all my opinion though.

13. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    Guitar is a more melody based instrument, and as such it's more pleasing for people to listen to. It really doesn't matter how simple/complex it is, because the average (non-musician) person doesn't really notice that.

Case and point: I played guitar in the hallway the other day (just goofing off with my friends), and people told me I was "great." All I was playing was a simple G-C-D progression. When I play comparatively more complicated basslines, no one notices...

14. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    The tones and overtones of a guitar jump out at people and it sounds really good to them. With bass what and how a person plays is much more important. If someone isn't listening to the player, or doesn't know how, bass is almost meaningless as a melodic instrument. They say "the tool doesn't make the man," but to an ear listening to music, that is not really the case.

15. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Most people think that I'm a guitar player even when I'm playing bass right in front of them, I wonder what that says about my playing :meh:

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Seen a million times but the perfect place to post this:

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I think that's the most important part of your post. :smug:

18. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    That's usually true yeah. People who don't know much about music seem to think it's lame to be playing bass or don't really respond to it. My bass playing has only elicited good reactions in one of my ex and of course in my gf because they've been the only two interested enough in music to know what the hell a bass does. And that's even considering that i have a very melodic style and tend to go for the higher notes.

I do play guitar, and good enough, but i kinda hate it. I've been playing it for as long as bass and i cant say i ever got the same thrill playing it as i do bass. I could very well call myself a guitarist or a bassist, but when asked i'll say the latter. Guitar to me is just an annoyance i have to put up with in order to compose songs... I'm in a duo with my gf and we plan to start playing live within a few months, so we were discussing having other musicians to play all the parts live and she was like "well Kevin (a friend) could play bass" And i had to stop her...no...I'M playing bass. And she couldn't understand it was kinda like well you play those guitar lines you wrote them and why wouldnt you want to be one of the guitar players in your own band anyway, who'd beleive the guy playing bass is the songwriter? (she didn't say it this way exactly but that's what it meant) but i had to explain, there's no way i'm playing guitar live. It's not that i can't, it's just that i don't like it enough. (also i don't trust anyone to do justice to my basslines :p not because they're hard but because they're so....me...and i'd demand they have my exact tone for one and well id probably always be annoyed at what the bassist playing my lines is doing) If i'm playing guitar, i'm not having as much fun. And i'm not gonna change that just because people respond better to guitar.

19. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Guitar, piano and sax are some of the coolest instruments ever. The voices are strike a nerve thats seldom achieved by most other instruments. thats just the way it is.

20. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    With my last X I could play bass for hours with no reaction, but if I played some silly 3 chord song on an acoustic guitar she got all frisky. Go figure.