1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is it about the internet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Apr 20, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Why is it that it is so common for people to just come online and say the most boneheaded ignorant things they can think of, things that they would never say in real life. Why do people become such pricks online? Not everyone, obviously, but an alarming amount. Why? What is there to be gained by making a fool out of yourself? What possible reason?

Gah! This has been bugging me lately.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Because they can without social control.

3. I think a lot of it is the fact that the internet serves as a mask as well. They say things they normally wouldn't because, well, they'll probably never meet you in real life. At least they don't think about that.

It's very hard to find someone who will speak their mind in person.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Anonymity.

5. The internet is a Global bathroom stall, where anyone can do anything in complete anonimity.

In otherwords, it's shameless.

6. i think it a you dont know where i am and you cant punch me in the jaw over the internet thing so people become arseholes on the net

7. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

You're not alone. It bugged me for a real friggin while. If you're a hippie like me (just kidding, I'm more of a slightly artistic starch-head), you'd attribute it to some eastern philosophy which deals with duality. It's really as simple as what you always wished to say, you couldn't say in real life, but you (not YOU necessarily) would say under complete guise of anonymity.

Personally, I just attach my name to everything, and I always think twice before posting anything or saying anything on the internet, though many times that obviously doesn't work so well in my case. :meh:

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

OK, You've called me out. I'm sorry! :bawl:

bc

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I think some of these type of people are like that in real life also. The anonymity factor emboldens many people to go above and beyond normal to be sure though.

-Mike

10. what i dont like is when people argue online. its like the special olypics, no matter who wins your both retards.

11. Everyone shutup please.

Just kidding....

12. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    In one word :)

It's probably worth pointing out that anyone who acts like an annoying pillock on the internet is also an annoying pillock in real life - it's just that, as of yet, no one has invented a device which allows people to be remotely punched in the face.

13. someone needs to get on that

14. Nah, I'm a prick in real life too :)

15. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Stress relief knowing that whoever reads you will not care and if they do it wont matter?

16. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    No real accountability. Sure, there is the risk of being banned, but the slightest risk of being beaten.

Nothing really to be gained, but then again, nothing to lose, I guess.

Also, to quote George Carlin, "Some people are just effing nuts!"

17. I think a lot of people do this because that way they feel like no one can contest them.

My exemple apply mostly to online forums, we see a lot of people arguing together with valuable arguments like : oh shut up you don't know anything because you're gay!! or things like that.

No one can really argue with you on the internet because you always have the choice to... lets say....ignore the replies from other people. :rolleyes:

That's mainly why talkbass is the only forum where I like to go. You'll never find anyone here telling you you're the biggest idiot on earth for saying something.

So to resume why people act like this on the internet....

=> :bag:

18. I personally don't know... However, I move that you direct the question at hand to the one man in the entire world, that could give you a direct and effective response... The man who invented the internet himself, Al Gore.

j/k, nobody spaz out, please.

-Ryan.

19. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    ***, DOOD?

20. +1.

Also, from working with a special-needs population, learned something else that probably applies:

When you don't know positive ways to get attention, you'll resort to negative ones. And what better place to get attention from others, positive OR negative, than in cyberspace, with millions watching? The more obnoxious the statements, the louder the (unspoken) cry of "Pay attention to me!!!!" ;)