1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is it about the TAFM?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cnltb, Feb 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I hear a lot about this pedal but have not yet had a chance to try one in person.
    What is it about this pedal...?

Thanks!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    What's a TAFM?

3. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Team...Awesome...Fuzz...Machine. Made by Smallsound/bigsound. I don't own one but it is on my wish list.

saabfender and bholder like this.
  4. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    Great fuzz !!!

5. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    It’s a great fuzz and very flexible but I didn’t think it lived up to the hype. Kinda like most SS/BS pedals I have tried.

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Had one for a few days, didn’t think it was all that super duper. Still looking for a really synthy gated fuzz that isn’t discontinued or ultra expensive.

Nunovsky likes this.
  7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    What makes it 'great'?

8. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I need to try this one out too. It and the Depth Charge are the greatest fuzzes I've never tried as far as I can gather from reading and watching vids. It's just not one that shows up in the shops - I'd have to just buy one to see, I guess.

btmpancake likes this.
  9. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    I'll be the contrarian here and say that the TAFM is a great design for bass fuzz and because of that it often beats out other pedals I actually like better for space on my board. This is because in a mix, where it really matters, the blend and the mids knob allow the TAFM to actually cut through a mix really well. It definitely has a very characteristic synthy sound to it that can be tamed somewhat, but that taming comes at the expense of cut and bite. Basically like so many other pedals that were flavor of the month, it has clearly fallen out of favor. But I actually put it back on the board the other day after it being off for over a year because it just cuts so well. It also fills the sonic space very nicely at higher gains.

10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I have an old one and it's just a great bass fuzz. Very touch responsive, lots of organic squelchy character to it, lightly gated so very funky and no noise when not playing.

Tried a newer one a couple of years back since it was a narrower form factor, had the switchable internal buffer, and a cooler paint job. However I sold it on immediately as it sounded nowhere near as good as my old one. Guess like some fine wines, I got a good year!

11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Have you tried the Diabolik?

TheLowDown33 and noahw1 like this.
  12. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Mines broken but it’s a great pedal. I’ve had every version of it so far. Super flexible, great with bass and had excellent voicing.

13. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    1. Low end. The preamp clean side has a switch to add lows, it's is awesome when added to the fuzz no mater how the fuzz is configured. 2. Fatness. with that added low end and a unique square wave the pedal has a fat slamming quality...this gets into "synth" territory like a classic moog square wave. almost. 3. ability to do subtle as well as screaming. as a stand alone pedal TAFM can handle overdrive as well as fuzz and very organically so. I don't there is a sound on it I don't like. PS I have an early TAFM, no gate but a bias/starvation control like on the Mini, turning it left of noon pretty much gives you a gated effect.

14. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Not trying to correct you here, but I don't think there is a switch to add lows. There is a mid boost switch and a phase flip switch. But there is no low end switch. The clean blend knob provides the lows.

15. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    You replied before I added that I have a very early model. Custom gold casing with a painted metal sculpture (hazardous to young children) and no words, 5 dials 1 foot switch, 2 switches, the other is a mid freq choice. I swear it has a low end add switch...when it is in the other position it's just a boost.

16. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Cool. Thanks for that clarification. I guess earlier models were different than the current design. I only know the newer one. I hear the older models sound "better." Perhaps they did have more lows? Anyhow, cool man. I'm curious about those older versions and would love to find one for the collection.

17. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    It's a phase switch. When out of phase it has the effect of cutting lows, which is why it might seem like a low end switch.

SirMjac28 and Fuzzbass like this.
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

This. Despite my TB handle I'm an overdrive/distortion guy rather than a fuzz guy, but I've tried and owned a number of fuzzes and the TAFM is my keeper because of the reasons noted above.

andrew and 2010P like this.
  19. Try the duality by Darkglass. Duality knob all the way to the left is all gated fuzz. I like it. Works great with other pedals (octave before it, chorus after it) for synthy tones.

20. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Tried it and found it lacking.

rjovin likes this.