1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what is it/where do I get it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Armacielli, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Armacielli

Armacielli

Oct 16, 2008
    As a regular LC resident, I generally don't venture here into effects (mostly b/c I don't know a dam* thing about 'em)
    but I feel compelled to pose this question:

What is this effect at 1:37, and where can I get one?

2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I would guess a Q-tron.

3. Armacielli

Armacielli

Oct 16, 2008
    I would also request that any answers be phrased as if addressing someone who knows absolutely nothing about effects

4. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Sorry.

While I'm not positive. I would guess that it is one of the EHX Q-Tron Variants.
    Product Page Here: http://www.ehx.com/browse/envelope-filters

This is an envelope filter. Someone more familiar with flea and his gear may pipe up.

5. I know flea uses the old giant q tron, but in the video, the two pedals on the floor seem to small to be a q tron....

6. If you watch this video, it shows he is using a dod fx25 envelope filter. I don't know if thats all he's using in the video you posted, but he's deff using the fx 25.

7. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Old FX-25. NOT the newer FX-25B, not sparkly, and not the large knob one.

8. If you look at 4:41 in the video i posted, it looks more like the sparkly one not the lime green one.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There are a couple original FX 25's on Ebay with $50 and $60 BIN's if anyone's interested. Me, I'm going to wait and see what happens when I get my old AF-9 repaired before I go buying another envelope filter. I like the sound of that one, though.

BTW, Flea's playing an original. The lighting is just bad.

10. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I'm pretty sure it's an FX25, but not the lime green ones-- Of the 2 knob/non-'B' variety, there are: 3 lime green ones, the first with large knobs, followed by a darker greenish one, and finally the 3knob fx25b's. I think he's using the darker green one, which would sound the same as the lime green fx25's.

Jimmy- The quote in your sig cracked me up :D

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Does it crack you up enough to sell me your Tentacle Love pedal for $100? ;) That's a hell of a machine right there. I'd be all over it if my needs for a fuzz were more than occasional recording and playing "Dance To The Music" with my band.

Thx for straightening out the FX 25 thing BTW. Looked to me like bad lighting in the video, but now that I look again, I see you're right.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I put my money on DOD FX-25.
    Even if it's not what it is, you can make the DOD sound like this.