1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is it with girls and the freaking phone ? (tl;dr)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BillyRay, Mar 31, 2009.

1. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I am in a long distance relationship, my gf lives about an hour and a half away, but I still find the time to visit her every weekend. My guess is that even if we don't see each other on a daily basis, we actually spend more time each other than couples that live togheter ! And I have no qualms about it since I love spending time with her: she's funny and cute, what's not to like ?

But spending tiem on the freaking phone, not so much. I'm kind of a loner. I'll never strike up a conversation with anyone unless face to face. The phone or AIM are idiosyncracies that I will probably never understand or enjoy. They are tools to me. I guess that most phonecalls I make to friends last 25 seconds.

This sure causes problems in a long distance relationship as you might guess. Even though we chat every night (mostly about her day at work), she always wants more. Calls me 4 times a night. At 20 minutes a pop. And she gets mad (in a passive agressive way) when I'm at rehearsals or with friends.

This is really driving me nuts. We have a very nice thing going but I'm getting fed up of the whole "why don't you call more ?". I've made this clear in the past that I don't like the long silences or going hmm-hmm for an hour every day on the freaking phone. I've gone a year or so without one for Pete's sake ! Yet she still bugs me that I'm dreading answering the phone.

2. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Sounds kinda clingy...

3. You figure that one out give me a call.

4. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    My girlfriend doesn't like the phone, for which I'm grateful. We text each other a few times a week and see each other once or twice a week... which probably means she's not that into me, but I like it like this.

5. My gf is pretty bad for that.

Very similar situation. Live about an hour or so away from here now. Back nearly every weekend to visit and hang out with her.

But she expects me to be on the phone to her for over an hour each day.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The alternative is to ditch her and be the loner you claim you are. Or...don't answer the phone. But then I suppose you'll have to deal with the "why didn't you answer the phone when I called the last 86 times?" freak outs.

Oh heck, answer the phone and be happy someone cares that much about you. Many men will go to bed tonight wishing for a relationship with a living female.

-Mike

7. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    HATE the phone with girls, it always feels like i'm talking to her in an awkward way, really i just use it to make plans, have the conv when we are in person.

I just think it must be a guy thing.

8. BillyRay

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Holy passive agressiveness Batman !

9. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Mike, I love you, in that totally hetero way. (Almost confused you with _v_s for a minute there, that would have been an insult!)

10. Yeah,..... because the rubber ones never call! :D

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I only talk to chicks enough to get their clothes off. As soon as I'm done I fall asleep, or at least pretend to fall asleep. When I wake up I start over again. I don't even know what I'm saying. Mostly "uh huhs" and an occasional strategic "really". Sometimes I'll say nice things to them, like "when you take your clothes off, you look nice." If I'm on the phone with them it's the same except I say whatever it takes for them to send me pictures of their jigglies.

12. Nay.

I hate talking on the phone. It's awkward and somehow depresses me all the time. But he insists on having those long conversations with 5 minutes of silences and lots of mmmhmms.

13. Maki never fails to supply the most relevant reply to a thread about chicks, regardless of the backstory. :smug:

14. BillyRay

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    +1000
    Happy to know I'm not alone.

15. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Your boyfriend does that too?

16. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I've bombed several relationships because I got fed up with them wanting to talk so damn much. Maybe I got it wrong, maybe that's just the way it's supposed to be, generation after generation of men bred to nod and smile at the endless tirade of female vocal ejaculation... (present company excepted)

Single is simpler. Quieter too.

17. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Long distance relationships sucks. /thread

18. Phone bad!

I am just a simple caveman -- your modern technology frightens me.

[I was going to link to the Phil Hartman SNL skit, but it looks like NBC had all the videos removed. Feh.]

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This is why I highly recommend a chick that can't speak English that well. Especially a sexy asian chick that can't speak that well. How do you think I met my wife?

20. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    Are you certain that she actually understands that you two are married?!?

:confused: