What is it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hookha, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    what it for? (pic 1)

what is do to the strings?(the red thing on the string)

Attached Files:

2. I am not sure what you are refering to on the first picture but as far as the second picture that is thread wrapped around the the strings. many string makers do that.
  3. As far as I understand, the concept of the single cutaway (pic 1) is that there is more wood on the lower string side of the instrument, so it give a better responce with the lower stings-more wood to vibrate.

Anyone out there know for sure what it is, and if it really helps? I've seen them alot recently, especially on the low F# basses, never played one myself.

It could also be a cosmetic thing, for looks.
  4. +1 The first picture is a Fodera Emperor II (or maybe its a Beez Elite) single cut away. Some think that the design itself adds more bottom and fullness to the sound. Many (including myself) believe the main tonal impact is simply due to the additional mass of the body (i.e., more wood).

The second picture is a bridge from a 'headless' bass. The tuning pegs, which are usually on the 'top' of the neck attached to the headstock are now on the body side of the neck as part of the bridge. The color you are seeing on the string is a simple nylon (or some material) winding that is used by some string manufacturers to give their strings a unique look, and I guess to help the string windings from coming loose when cut... however, it's more just for looks IMO.
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    well, #1 is just the shape... I've gathered the theory that being it is a "Single Cut" body style it has better neck to body stablility and then by extending the upper 'lobe' into a little bit of a horn makes for better balance when worn.

It's an aquired taste, personally I disliked them at first, but have grown to really dig the look of a lot of them.

#2 is 'silk' or 'thread'. It's not needed but most bass strings have it on the ends. I assume it may have been to protect the metal on metal of the tuners and bridge. It may have been just to neaten up the strings.... I think it can be a good marketing thing though. I know I played a bass in 1991-92 that had purple wraps that I LOVED! It took a while but I found out they were strings from Ken Smith and used them for a long while til the only store I knew that could get them shut down (pre internet string ordering).