Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is it???????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashton, Dec 3, 2001.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well ya'll know that not-so-famous-band Alien Ant Farm.......what does their bassist use. i used to look at the site for those basses long ago but i lost the url and havent been able to find them since, its one helluva nice bass.

any help would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Lukas

2. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I believe that the six string he uses in the Movies video is a custom built by him with the help of Dave Parr. He built the body and electronics etc and Dave Parr made the neck.

I think.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The bass in the "Smooth Criminal" video is a Kenneth Lawrence Brase model. Costs somewhere around the US $4,000 mark.

[​IMG]

4. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well im pretty sure that it was a german built custom bass, i just have seen that body shape before, someone makes the basses with the top "wing" joining to the body. anyway i could be wrong,
    thanks
    Lukas

5. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    not sure if thats it Oysterman, he is on 7 strings and the body doesnt have that little "horn" near the back strapbutton.....also i think the headstocks different. ill check up on it anyway.
    i still could be wrong.......
    Lukas

6. u mean the holy basslab basses ?

[​IMG]

i don't like the looks of this model.

The basslab basses are without doubt THE finest basses ( tonewise and playability ) available to the consumer. the body is 100 % composite material ( including fretboard ), which makes the bass about 70 % lighter than regular wooden models.

the plastic fretboard is real cool.. i tried one of these basses ( picture below ) at a musicexpo.
    the fretboard feels weird at first, but once you play it for a while.. these things are FAST ! and the sound is just... WOAH !

[​IMG]

7. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well it was around the time that i found the basslab site that i found this one. i just cant remember them. hmmmmm, maybe BassGimp was right......
    later
    Lukas

8. Yes, that is a Kenneth Lawrance bass he is holding in the video. Perhaps he will practice hard and one day be talented enough to play that great bass!!!
    ;)

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, Mr. Dead, he's not that bad of a bass player. I am not an AAF fan, but I've heard a couple of their songs(the wife likes them) and he has some pretty tasty grooves happening.

Like Oysterman and Mr. Dead said, ashton, it is a Kenneth Lawrence Brase. His 6 string is a bass that he made and had Dave Parr make a neck for, just like Bass Gimp said. All of this info was in his Bass Player interview a few months back.

10. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    acctually he is good im not a big aaf fan either but some of the stuff he does is pretty cool and concidering i heard his band before aaf was a primus tribute id think that he could be all that bad to be playing in a band playing nothing but primus

11. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well if it was in a magazine then ill have to beleive it. :rolleyes: well i thought it was like german or something and handmade, that theory just came to mind when i saw it (for some unknown reason) but thanks guys.
    Lukas

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Allright, Ill say it again. I am 110% sure that these are the basses he uses:

Smooth Criminal video - Kenneth Lawrence Brase. This is the bass with the upper horn connected to the neck. Its a 5 string bass.

Movies video - Dave Parr Custom 6 string. He built part of it, Dave Parr did the rest.

13. Well, I must beg to differ. I've seen AAF on a couple of times on TV perform live and they were god awful including the bass playing. Pro tools editing can make even the worst sound like "pros" in the studio!

14. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    When I saw them live, he was very good, i was surprised. Also, his tone on the CD is very good and his playing is far superior to other bass players in that genre, but that's just my opinion....

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    uh, he doesn't play a 7 on the aaf videos.

16. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Ditto, although the only "live" I've seen was on TV... but usually I am able to tell if it's playback or a real performance, and this was indeed real. Goes to show that he actually can play, and does give a good show too. As much as I dislike the band and the whole nu-metal genre, I appreciate his bass playing! Like a fresh breeze through the valley of mediocrity. ;)

17. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    This is so wrong so I don't know where to start.

18. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    It's not really nu-metal anyway is it?

19. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    theres no way AAF is nu metal. Thats like calling the Beatles nu metal. Deftones are nu metal, not aaf.

20. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Then what are they, oh you lords of categorization? ;)