Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by awesome, Oct 20, 2002.

1. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    Nice cheap bass for sale, but what is it? There's no name on it and seller doesn't seem to know.

Does someone know what it could be? Tell me all about it.

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cheap Import, probably really old, with no value except for coolness, it probably plays like crap and sounds worse.

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Looks like a Harmony, or Stradolin to me. I agree, it probably all together sucks. Some of these old instruments were barely playable, uncontrollably high action, intonnation too far off to enjoy playing, and the tone....whew. It's amazing, when I first started, this is ALL you could get for a cheap instrument. Nowadays, little bucks can buy you something very respectible. I own a Czech made Spector 5, a Musicman Stingray 5, but I have just as much fun playing my essex jazz bass. I'd reccomend not wasting any time or money on that, because for $100 on up, (mine was $129) you can have a really nice instrument in an essex.

4. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    Thanks for the input.

The main reason why I wanted to buy this was because of its coolness. I already have 2 decent basses, and a 5er is on its way, so I have no intension making it my main-bass. Thought it would be nice for gigs, but if it's got crappy tone and playability, it's not worth it (even if it's only 72€).

btw, it's not easy to find a 100$ bass in belgium (with taxes and all, ...you guys are very lucky)

Thanks again

5. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I think it might be worth a shot.. if you can handle it if you think its crap! At least its a looker! Go for it son!:D

6. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    I went for it but didn't get it :(
    I hope something like this comes up again, really liked the looks of it, but the price went up a bit to far.

I'm still curious to know what it was though.

thanks for your attention.

7. That reminds me of the bad old days when an imported bass usually meant a bowed or twisted neck with pups that sounded real bad. It might be a Tiesco or anyother number of import names that were around in the early 70's. It looks really COOL though. Good luck.