1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is jumbo frets made of?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Patricia86, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Patricia86

Patricia86

Jul 30, 2009
    Hi..:bassist:

I've just bought a fender Am Std. J-bass and I was wondering what the frets are made of? :confused:

I wonder because my fingers gets black everytime I play, so I want to make sure that it aint made of Nickel.. Hope you can help me! :help:

2. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    They're made from Elephant bones. The black residue is simply the enamel wearing off.

3. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    The frets are most likely nickel.

4. You might see what you're strings are made of- you're likely contacting the actual string far more than the frets.

5. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    Doesn't Fender use Nickels for stock strings? That might be it...

6. If you're touching the frets you must have pretty weird technique.

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Check the string material as well...

Frets are usually 18% nickel silver aka German Silver. The formulation of the alloy can vary but it's basically an alloy of copper with about 18% nickel and maybe about the same amount of zinc or tin and traces of other metals.

There are frets made of stainless steel available if you have an adverse reaction to copper or nickel.

8. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    65% Copper
    18% Nickel
    17% Zinc

9. Sounds like you are having a chemical reaction from the STRINGS rather than the frets. Some people actually are allergic to nickel.. but again, it does sound like your strings are the problem.

10. gruda

gruda

Aug 19, 2009
    ITS MAGIC!!!!