What is louder?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dizzyduster, Nov 20, 2015.

1. dizzyduster

dizzyduster

Nov 20, 2015
    Hey guys,

I am new here, have read a lot of helpful posts in the past and now I have a quick question myself. Hope you can help me!!

So I am trying to decide between buying a used 600W Ashdown 4x10 cab (8 ohm) or a considerably more pricey (think Glockenklang) custom built 500W 2x12 cab (4 ohm) to pair up with my Trace Elliot AH300 which puts out 300W at 4 ohms. The cab has eminence speakers in it, that I know.

The smaller custom one sounds more pristine of course, less coloured in terms of tone, but my main concern is the difference in volume due to the difference in impedance. I tested them both in a small room, where they were of course both VERY loud. However it was noticeably that I did have to push the Ashdown harder to get the same volume.

What do you guys think? Would I be better off with the smaller speaker size but optimal impedance match? or with the slightly bigger 4x10 with the not so optimal impedance match? I am worried I might need to push the amp too far to get a good sound on the Ashdown.

Any personal thoughts on this beyond what is already widely available on here on the subject of impedance matching?

Thanks a lot!
    Chris

2. jbd5015

jbd5015

Nov 23, 2009
    Boalsburg, PA
    More speakers is *generally* going to be louder. I would look into the sensitivity specs of the cabs. If the custom built cab doesnt have specs, youll just have to use your ears really to see which you like better.

Id probably lean towards the 2x12 if it has good build quality and better speakers in it. Good chance they are near equal in volume if the 212 was designed properly. Slight chance it will get louder, but i think your head is the limiting factor there.

You wont really hurt the amp with the impedance difference. Not knowing who built the 212 and what the components are make it a little difficult to tell you which is better in the long run. Sounds like you are already favoring the 212. They are the best bang for your buck these days.

I run an SVT212 (600 watt @ 4ohm) with an Ampeg V4B (100 watt) or an Ashdown ABM 500EVOII (500 watts) and both amps are very happy through it, and i cant even get close to full volume in either before pissing somebody off. Ive sold all my 410s...never got along with any of the particular ones i had (70s sealed Ampeg 410, Bag End 410, Carvin 410)

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    For a 300w amp a 4 ohm 2x12 would be (and has been in the past) my choice. I recently sold mine and went with a pair of 8 ohm 1x15's but I'm not convinced that was a good idea.
    :nailbiting:

4. dizzyduster

dizzyduster

Nov 20, 2015
    Thanks for the advice - it's true that I pretty much already preferred the 2x12 to begin with :D I mean for rock and heavier stuff I probably would be better off with the Ashdown but the clarity and presence of the 2x12 was pretty convincing and it's probably more versatile. Hopefully.

It was built by a small German company called Bassline and I don't have much in the way of technical information about the components, but it really does sound great. So yea probably I'll go for it.

5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Unless the 410 uses poorly designed speakers it will give more volume than the 4 ohm 212. Speaker artea = loudness, it takes a huge difference in "wattage numbers" to make any real loudness difference. Like between 200 and 2000 watts, not 200 and 300.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021