Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is louder??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pesticle, Dec 17, 2002.

1. which would be louder? 200 watts into 2x10's 2x12's or 2x15 or.. 200 watts into a 1x15?

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    just about everything is louder than most 115 cabs if you ask me; particularly the 210 and 212. then again, all this depends on the sensitivity and usable frequency of each speaker as well as size/tuning of the box (among other things i am sure). it's not as cut and dry as you would think or hope... if you simply mean which will push more air, it's the 2x- 10's and 12's...

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I'd say it depends a LOT on the box, because speaker sentivity can vary widely. Also, it depends on what frequency you are talking about amplifying.

Most 2x10 boxes don't make much volume at 40hz but most x15 boxes don't do much over 2000 hz.

I like a dark sound and so loud for me is 15's .

4. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Hey, check this guy out. It's the only RBH cab I've ever been up close and personal with, and let me tell you, it puts out a good amount of sound...

1x15 RBH

5. I use to run a Sunn Sorato cab with 2x15 EVm's and pushed it with a PV Mark IV that was 210 watts into 4 ohms. It was louder than any 4x10 cab I've ever played let alone a 2x10 or 2x12:D

6. 11. 11 is one louder. :D

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - 10s will push out a lot of what we call "midrange" frequencies, but 15s will push more bass.

Bassier sounds, travel further; so your 15s will sound loud out front to the audience, whereas 10s will sound loud to you a few feet in front of the cab, but probably won't carry though to the audience much.