1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what is mean by bright?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rakuenso, Nov 27, 2006.

1. rakuenso

rakuenso

Sep 17, 2006
    hi bass newb here,

i've a mexican j-bass, which totally sucks for slapping at this moment... not sure why... think it might be strings (tried adjusting action already)

what do you guys mean when you say a string is "bright?"

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Very high treble response.

3. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    My Mexican made Jazz bass is fantastic for slapping and popping. You may just need a good setup and the proper strings. For slapping I would suggest stainless steel roundwounds in a fairly light guage.

Consider: DR Highbeams
    Dean Markley Blue Steels
    Ernie Ball Slinkys

Hope that helps a bit.

4. rakuenso

rakuenso

Sep 17, 2006
    weird because the guy that did my setup told me that high action and heavy gauge is better for slap... ***? btw how can you tell between flatwound and round wound

5. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    the action is really just preference IMO but lower works for slap.

round wounds have a round wrapping wire while flats have a flat (atleast on one side) wrapping wire. flats are smoother and it takes longer for your fingers to die because they aren't as rought (trust me, i jst went back to rounds and rebuilding calusus ain't fun)