1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

What is missing from YouTube pedal demonstrations? Who are your most watched?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CMallett, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Hi all,

What do you feel is missing from pedal demos/comparisons, and who gets it right/nearly right and why?

Thanks for your help!
    Chris

2. Peaveylover

Peaveylover Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2019
    It's so tough to please everyone with a demo that I am just thankful people take the time to do them in the first place. And since there are so many people doing them, I often just search until I see a person with a similar enough chain to mine and I go from there.

3. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    Hondo felder is probably my favorite. Zach rizer too.

Good information and presentation. They both will mix other effects with the pedal they are doing a demo of.

Hondo’s production quality is top notch. I’m surprised it took this long to reach 1k subscribers.

4. Peaveylover

Dec 6, 2019
    I agree on Hondo. His are the closest sounding to my rig. I bought a Champion Leccy Fettle Boost after watching his demo of it.

jdch28 and shaggy45 like this.
  5. Mainly what's missing (for me) is flat out balls to the wall distortion settings. Extreme settings. Most demos are to "nice and polite" to do that.

Peaveylover likes this.
  6. Peaveylover

Dec 6, 2019
    Whachoo talkin bout willis?:) Mr. Excane's vids do exactly that.

JCooper and kranahan like this.
  7. Oh yeah, Excane is one of the few that actually does explore the extremes of the knobs

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    structure. Seems like a lot of the peeps are kinda punch the button and record then figure out what they are going to actually do...

As for faves. Zach Rizer, Pete Thorn, most anything from Source Audio really. I need to search out Hondo Felder I guess.

JCooper, Marihino and swarfrat like this.
  9. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Love JHS' show. The production is obviously top notch. The musicianship is incredible. Love the historical aspect and the demystification of what circuits are or are based on. Using the pedals in context.

I find bass channels to be a lot less polished than guitar ones, probably due to the numbers or popularity.

One thing I recently noticed is that the channels I gravitate to or find annoying are because I can or cant relate to the way in which the person plays or in which they use the pedal. Eric Merrows guitar channel is awesome because I really enjoy his playing. I cant really relate to Zach Riser but his posts are so informative that I do still really enjoy them. I dig Jaun Alderete's Pedal and Effects but sometime I feel like they're trying a little tooo hard to be bad asses.

Also, I'll mirror whats been said about actually showing the breadth of a pedals range.

I'll have to check out some of everyones suggestions.

10. Hallic

Hallic

Sep 2, 2012
    I really like basstheworld videos.
    However i found that they lately adjusted the presentation style to be more cheery/funny. Which i dislike personally.(feel too forced for me)

On youtube i always like the NO TALKING videos. Straight-to-the-point. On the screen you can see what is happening in regards to amp or peddel settings, and your ears can judge for themselves:)

11. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    As a well documented fence sitter I would like to hear the less extreme sounds of the pedal for a longer duration. Seems like it’s clean tone, speed bump of a slightly effected clean tone, then all my favorite riffs with the gain cranked.

12. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I like the way Nathan Navarro demos a bunch of MXR pedals in this video

DrMole and Jason Schulhz like this.
  13. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    I want to hear them used in a live setting or at least in a song of sorts (not just bass and not just bass and drums),

I don’t care about the 10mn explanations of the pedal or whatever. At the very least talk at the end rather than upfront.

Personally, I dig Earthquakers demos as they get right to the point

birminghambass likes this.
  14. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    No talking.

No ********.

I don't need to see your face.

I don't need to see your foot.

I don't need to hear your voice.

I'm not going to subscribe to you, don't waste my time asking me to.

Tell me (IN WRITING) the signal chain: what instrument -> what other FX (THERE SHOULD BE NONE UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY) -> what amp and cab and what mic (If you're not mic'ing a cab don't bother making the video) -> what interface -> what processing you've done (THERE SHOULD BE NONE UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY)

Let me hear bypassed, let me hear on, try some different settings, then end the video.

15. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    If I hear slapping, I'll be passing.

16. Jason Schulhz

Jason Schulhz

May 1, 2020
    The rambling on and talking kills me. I don’t need to know the entire story of how you discovered the pedal and your entire history of using it. The ones that are the best IMO show variety of tones: finger style, pick style, dirty, clean, and although I think slap bass sucks you have to put some in there to appease “those guys” also. Don’t get me wrong, Marcus Miller, Flea, and others rock some slap bass, but 90% of people I hear slapping aren’t doing it in a way that is musical at all.

JCooper, thabassmon and Lukasonbass like this.
  17. Wissen

Wissen Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Central PA
    The one thing I wish more people would do in gear demos in general is to delve into specific use cases. So many folks use vague language, and for good reason; internet commenters (myself included) are unrelenting pedants.

But "try it and see what works best for you" isn't particularly helpful. If I had the time and resources to do all of that, I probably wouldn't be watching your video, now would I? If I could demo every piece of gear on my wish list, my YouTube history would look a LOT different.

Obviously I'm not expecting anyone to address my exact use case, but I'm smart enough to take the information and analysis you provide to your use case and apply it to my situation.

The most recent example is my man Mason from Vertex. I have learned SO much from his videos, but every time he discusses linear power supplies, he mentions that they can induce a hum in a pedal if it's placed "near or in top of it." I know every case is different, but can I at least get a range of tolerances here? Am I trying to avoid metal-on-metal contact between the two enclosures, or am I trying to keep them six inches apart? There's a lot of room between those two, and without a ballpark number there, the only lesson I've learned is "I might as well not bother with VL power supplies, because I can't afford to drop $100 to find out it won't work for my board." I could at least have one more data point to help refine that decision.

18. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    Videos need more basic amateurish playing.

One of my favorite youtubers is an average player, and I feel like it emphasizes the difference in guitars.

For pedals, excessive virtuosic playing distracts from the pedals.

To echo others, brevity is missing. Put all of that at the end.

I really don't want to see you sitting in a room either.

19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri

I really like how this guy (and gal) does demos.

No talking, no faces, just a bass being played and a hand twiddling knobs up close.
    In 3-4 mins I have a pretty good idea what the pedal is capable of.
    This one went longer than normal, but then it's a 6-knober jobber after all.

20. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    I'll tell what's missing from pedal demos. I've never seen a demo that the pedal wasn't really liked. I can't ever remember a demo where they thought the pedal was a real dog. Maybe I've just not seen those, but that is my experience.

Everything out there just can't be great.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021