1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is Murphy's Law?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by quadebass17, Mar 3, 2008.

1. I've seen a bunch of you guys mention it here, refering to it as something to do with bass and bassing and being a bassist.

Explain to me!

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    "Anything that CAN go wrong WILL go wrong."

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    whatever can go wrong will go wrong

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
  5. thats the spirit!!

6. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    it really doesn't have anything specific to do with bass

7. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    And that has been true more than once in my life.

Everytime I worry about the fact that I am low on gas and wonder whether I will make it to a station, I always run out.

My practice bass amp was known for losing the connection and buzzing loudly during play. Every time I thought about that happening during worship, it usually did.

It is a curse sometimes.

8. ()*#&*(Q&T*(&#(%&!

i shouldn't have asked.....
    i'm screwed!

9. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    First time...maybe second, its Murphy's Law. After that, you just like dodging cars on the side of the freeway.:)

10. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    If Murphy's Law made any sense nothing would ever go right because something can ALWAYS go wrong in every aspect of life. So it's a pretty ridiculous statement in it's concept :confused:

11. I came up with a corollary to Murphy's Law:

"...and when things DO go wrong, they will do so at the time which is most inconvenient, embarrassing, expensive, or all three."

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Actually Murphy's law is often misquoted / restated in a way that doesn't make sense. The original quote or "law" was along the lines of "If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then somebody will do it that way." It doesn't actually translate exactly as "whatever can go wrong will go wrong", but that seems to be the popular usage of it. The original quote is more likely saying, if there is a way that we can stuff this up, we probably will. Its more a quote about humans ability to stuff up than natures or bad lucks way of intervening in situtions, which is what the quote has morfed (excuse the pun) into.

13. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    :D

14. louelou

louelou

Apr 20, 2005
    A great punk band from Astoria Queens, New York. Sorry, couldn't resist.

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm now beginning to see a kind of symbiosis between Mark and Morf. When Morf was around it was nice, because, even though he didn't know what he was talking about, he was always there to throw up the nonsense to keep Mark busy. It's kind of like distracting the dog with it's own tail. Morf was Latimour's tail which would cause him to spin around harmless in the corner while the rest of us can go about our business. But it's quotes like this that make me miss Morf, simply because of his place in the ecosystem of OT. ;)

16. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas