1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is music all about?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by GassieBall, Apr 24, 2010.

1. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Sometimes I look at all of the expensive basses and incredible talent out there and forget that music still comes from the heart - no matter who you are, what you're playing, or where you live. I am amazed at this master's ability to communicate the importance of these ideals.

Go to 6:44

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ain't gotta sell me on the idea, gassie!

3. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Well, arguably it comes from the brain...

4. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    I don't think he was referring to an individual's physical heart :p

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    my music comes from the liver ;)

you know what he meant, you wisenheimer! you have to feel it, you know?

6. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Many years ago I was having a conversation with another musician, talking about our respective compositional methods, and I happened to say "when I get an idea for a song..."

He interrupted and said "Ah-ha, see that's the difference: Your songs comes from the head, from thinking. My songs come from the heart, from feeling."

To which my best friend, who was with us, retorted "You only think they come from your heart."

7. southpaw76

southpaw76

Feb 20, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    When you boil it all down, it's about communication plain and simple. It's been that way since the first caveman started banging on something rhythmically.....

sp

8. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    It's a vibrational manifestion of Divine Love.

9. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Mine comes from the ass.

10. I've heard it described that music is an extension of emotion, something we express when words do not capture the magnitude and true meaning of the idea.

In fact, one of my favorite poets did an interview where he was asked to describe what a "good" gig was for him, and he said, "When no one can stay in their chairs. When the words do something only great music can do."

Personally, I agree with one of the above posts: it's a medium of expression, or art. It has its shining qualities over others, but what I find most striking is the immediacy with which it affects the listener. A few notes in the span of a second can communicate volumes more, with just as much emotional depth, as a passage from a novel or a scene in a film.

11. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    it's really just more plumage for the mating ritual.