1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is my Bass? New Cleveland Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by huladude456, Aug 27, 2012.

1. huladude456

huladude456

Nov 24, 2010
    When I started reading about how much folks really liked their New Standard Basses (Cleveland Model) I thought my first upright bass was a real score -- I mean I paid less than $1800 for this bass new. But this is not a New Standard Cleveland, but a New Cleveland Bass by Cleveland Violins model CVLB 1103, which is a decent beginners model. But where did it come from and who makes it? (I know, I know, it comes from China and who cares who makes it, but I'm just curious).

Anyone else familiar with these types of branded instruments? Can larger music stores order basses and put their names on them?

thanks for your time. As an adult beginner I've enjoyed many of the postings on this forum.

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Yes, and smaller stores can as well. It's quite commonplace. Most are instruments of not-widely-known (and often questionable) quality. I never heard of your bass and I don't see your bass on the Cleveland Violins site. Why not ask them what shop in China made it? It's likely that they won't name their supplier.

I can't tell from your post-- did you think you were buying a New Standard Cleveland?

3. huladude456

huladude456

Nov 24, 2010
    No, I didn't think I was buying anything other than a decent beginners bass that seemed nicer than the Christopher that I was renting and less expensive than buying the Christopher outright. I didn't even notice the label inside until a few weeks later.

The coincidence is that although I bought this bass in New England I was born in Cleveland!