1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is my bass worth? 1966 Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sbrudd, Aug 8, 2012.

1. sbrudd

sbrudd

Aug 8, 2012
    I don't know anything about Bass guitars. I received this through a death in the family. The only thing I know about it is that it's a 1966 Fender Precision, made in April of 1966. I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this but I thought I'd try. Thanks.

I have pictures uploaded to imgur:

http://imgur.com/a/JR1v1

2. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    In all fairness, that is the kind of question you must be a supporting TB member to ask.

3. sbrudd

sbrudd

Aug 8, 2012
    Sorry, I was unaware.

4. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    You're new to TB, so don't worry about it! I'd suggest having someone look at it in person, as we can only tell so much by pictures. Where are you from? Perhaps another member can recommend the right expert in the area.

By the way, you have a gorgeous bass!

5. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    It's your bass, you get to decide what it's worth...

Considering how old it seems to be, probably about 1/3 the cost of a new one (other's may disagree)...

6. sbrudd

sbrudd

Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks! I am from Greensboro, NC but I am in Dallas, TX now due to the death in the family. I will be going back this Sunday.

7. You've got a nice bass!

I have one made in January 1966.

Gale

8. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    Just the opposite is true. Worth much more than a new one.

9. sbrudd

sbrudd

Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks Gbarchus!

10. This is hilarious

11. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah... I'm not sure where you got that from.

It seems that, depending on the condition and other variables, a '66 P-Bass can go for anywhere between $3k-$6k... possibly more.

12. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Looks like there are a bunch of different guitar stores in Greensboro. You might start there. In a vintage instrument, condition and originality are everything, but originality above all.

13. Bradass

Bradass

Oct 17, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    this made me lol, hard. and then wonder if you could possibly be serious. :eyebrow: :rollno:

14. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    I think Bassteban detected the humor in my post...

15. sbrudd

sbrudd

Aug 8, 2012
    That's the price I was seeing on eBay. I was more concerned about that value in the condition it's in. I tried to show all the problems with the bass in the pictures. I just don't know what kind of condition that would be deemed.

16. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    FWIW, that looks original and CLEEEEAN

17. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I was looking for a parts bass for my other 1966 P-Bass. I'll take it off your hands for $500. Sound fair? PM me.. :)

18. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Well, it's not mint, but looks to be in pretty good shape and best yet, it looks unmolested.

Very Nice bass.

19. sbrudd

sbrudd

Aug 8, 2012
    I can't let it go for that, sorry. My uncle bought it brand new and played it in a band for years. It's worth more sentimentally than $500.

20. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I recently saw and played a '63 P-Bass in much worse condition and they were asking $12,000. Probably too steep (might have been on consignment).