What is neck dive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Im completely freaking oblivious :p

Oh, and what causes it?
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Neck dive is the condition where your bass is not well balanced and the neck has a tendency to fall down as you play. It is a condition of how the bass is designed or as a result of installing a heavier neck than the body was designed to hold.
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    it can also sometimes be alleviated by putting light-weight tuners on...
  4. I thought it was when you finally can't take any more crap from the guitarist, and you grab him by the neck and throw him off the stage, where he dives onto the crowd.
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Neck dive is the reason I got really pissed off when I could barely play the bass I was borrowing at the party Saturday night.

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    This is one of the reasons I sold the Warwick Thumb I owned.
  7. caused by headstock mass and weight of fixings
    if you have a headless do you get neck rise?:)

8. The only time I ever got neck rise was when playing my Guild B-301. I reached over to adjust the amp a little, the strap came off the bottom button and I got a face full of tuners!

I use straplocks now.........:(
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - I've tried Warwick Thumbs in shops and they always have neck dive - although it can only be slight, it is irritating as it takes the neck away from the ideal playing position.

So my view is that on a long live gig you are going to get severe fatigiue or even RSI, as you may not have time to keep putting it back in the right place - so people talk about a strap correcting this, but I just think that it will always slip if you are moving about.

Also - there are lots of great-sounding basses out there that don't have neck dive -so why buy one with this flaw, no matter how slight - makes no sense to me!!
  10. :D awa ye daft loonie:D
    sort of face the music eh?
    bet its really cold up there just now.:cool:
    same here.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

You might think so - but in practice this doesn't happen. So with a bass that doesn't "dive", it is possible to set your strap length so it stays in the right position - neck rise is never problem a - I know this is the case from playing lots of different basses, but it is difficult to explain in words.

I think the point is that neck "rise" can be countered effectively by changing the length of your strap, but this doesn't work with "dive" as the bass slips down away from your hands - as I said it's difficult to explain in words! ;)

12. Well afterwards, I saw the light - sort of flashing incoherently, and then the little tweety birds flying round my head.......

Yep, brass monkey weather up here too! Although the daffy's are blooming in my folk's garden......:confused:
  13. i think i know what you mean
    i played around with the postion of my bridge end straplock position around the body perimeter and found a point which just felt right.
    i suppose with a light or no headstock there is less tendency to feel as if you are holding the neck up even if you are to a slight degree.
    i have seen the bass harness which is supposed to take all the weight.
  14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    The lack of any real upper-horn on the Thumb contributes as much if not more to the neck-dive than the weight of the neck vs body.
  15. keepmusicevil

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    The easiest way to fix any neck-dive issues is to install the strap to the same upper peg. This has helped GREATLY with my Jackson KBX (explorer-like shape).
  16. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    But in that case, isnt Neck Dive change by person. Would a bass always dive, depending on how ones shoulders are set?

Also, a strap should fix all problems, no?
  17. Bruce Lindfield

No and no !! Every Thumb bass I've tried has had neck dive and I wouldn't buy one for this reason - a strap might help, but in my view will be slipping in a long gig and making things awkward. You want some movement on a strap or you woudn't be able to move freely - far better to check basses before you buy and make sure you get a well-balanced one!!