Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is on my new BTB515? Replacement recommendations?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Funkateer, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    They appear to be round-wound, and have one blue wind and one 'silver' one on each string. I think they are stainless steel. Too bright for my taste, and more importantly, murder on my fingers. Any recommendations for flat-wound strings? The bass currently has a .135 (i think) for the B string and it has real nice tension.

2. Hi Telemark,

the string you describes would be the Ibanez BTB strings.

I myself just got a BTB (400QM). Mine had GHS on it and the tone IMVHO was VERY bad, muddy no punch no high etc.

I tried the SR-2000 (Wil Lee) gauge and I'm pretty please with the sound, a lot of clarity and deep tone. They are not flat-wound though, steel tapered wound. They have a somewhat higher tension than both the GHS I had and the DR Hi-Beam I tried on it. So you may like them.

I'm a newbie on bass so take my advice with a pinch of salt :p

BTW I'd like to know how flat sounds on a BTB. Please post some info once you tried some!

3. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    I just bought an Ibanez 1005 Fretless. I love the bass, but the strings are murder. This is my first fretless. Are all fretless strings that hard on the hand...or is it just the Ibanez strings?:confused: