Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is Overkill?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Jun 17, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...besides a good question of interpretation...

I witnessed what I have heard was overkill, work really well. SWR 6x10, and a SWR6x15 powered by and Ampeg SVT-4 Pro...Playing a small outdoor gig, and competeing with a 4x12 of a single guitarist.

By All that I have been told, this should have been bloody overkill, but it seemed to work really well, and really made the bass stand out. Sort of made me have to rethink my concept of overkill. I mean, when this much power and sound work well, the point of useless overkill gets set back a bit.

Just saying....

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    he was probably turned down really really far.

and as for punch, and air moving, more speakers is better.

that said, i think the OVERKILL comes in concerning loading for the gig. i certianly wouldn't want to haul around all that gear for a "small outdoor gig"

jason

4. A 6 15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmm...sounds like my kind of cab...

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I know there is a certain passion about playing with enough power to light small residential communities, but I just don't get it. I am happy as I can be getting a great tone out of my 410 and turning up the amp just enough to hear on stage. I run DI in the board and let the PA do the work. Saves me hastle and back pain. When I play dates without an electric guitar, I run my POD pro into board and play through the monitors. NO AMP!!!! I'd do it all the time if guitar players weren't all deaf.

It is a chicken or the egg thing. Are guitars deaf because the play too loud, or do they play too loud because they are deaf?

Chas

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    HU? Do'h!:(

1x15....

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Chasarms, I "get it"... I just won't do it;)

8. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Good question :). Seriously, I'de say overkill is anything that requires triamping or a rig with more than 8 speakers. (610+215, or 2 410's)

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Funny you should say that...I was thinking about that as my new rig...And yes...yes it would be overkill, but as two different pieces, it would also function. Of course, more than likely, I'll just settle for 410s and an 18....

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You, I understand. My uncle understands that a bass boat that goes 80 mph is a rediculous thing. He just bought it anyway. It is the guy who attempts to justify it that I worry about.

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Here is a weird idea I have toyed with for later (like a year or so...

I am about to have a RC210 and 1x18 by Carvin. The RC210 is a angled cab, so I was thinking of using that as a monitor and then bridging with the 1x18... problem is, 1x18 is 4 ohms! So, I got this wierd idea... what if I stacked another 1x18 (connected serialy) on top? The 2 18s stacked would help each other right (as in two sine waves vertical of each other)? But would 600w be enough for both 18s and 10s? Hmmm....

This is off into the distance, but I wonder these things... :)

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Let me guess...you'll set this up outdoors for indoor gigs;)

13. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    gabu, your my kind of man!! always thinkin' crazy things to do. what about 2 8 ohm 15s w/a 4 ohm 210 or 410. oh well, as far as overkill goes, its better to be safe than sorry. i wouldn't drag around a 610 and 615 for a small gig, just take what is needed. with all that you have options, just 15s, just 10s, or mix and match. with all that your prepared for a good sized gig (i hope). thats just my opinion, do what you want and don't listen if other people criticize it. if you like it, do it.

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Gigs Hell! I just need something for my Ford Aspire! :D

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Screw gas prices! Run dual rear ports out the back and crank it ;)

16. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    hehe - You know it!

Boy I can hardly wait to come across one of those boomboom lowered pickup truck discomaticmobiles ... It is time for them to be reintroduced to rock music.

Oh, I am sorry ... were those your dentures that exploded? No? Oh, they were your real teeth... Umm... Well, you shouldn't tailgate yaknow...