1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is "pro gear"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Axtman, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I read wanted ads for bass players and many of them say something like, "must have pro gear". What is considered "pro gear"? I assume that they mean top quality (expensive) equipment.

Thanks,
    David

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Not crap.

I think people are describing an expectation that your gear will be heard in a band environment. If it is a SX bass through a Behringer Cab and head that can be heard over drums and guitars, that should suffice most of the time...

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Don't get me started. If you're a pro-quality player it really shouldn't matter what you play. It's a case of blatant bassism.

4. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    agreed. it doesn't have to be expensive as much as adequate to get the job done. it's basically a nice way of saying practice amps need not apply.

5. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Half the time it really means you have to have an amp that can be heard over a loudish drummer....so just figure if you have about a 400+ watt amp your probably ok.

6. its a marketing term lol
    pro gear implies gear that the pros use, so really, if a pro used a fender squire, that would technically make it "pro gear" however, its mostly just a word used to sell expensive things

7. I've always interpretted the term to mean "loud enough and reliable".

Mike

8. Me too. A pro has gear that is appropriate for playing band venues. If anyone has jammed with a drummer playing on a poor quality kit or a guitarist playing through a 10 watt amp, they will have experienced the same thing.

9. Most people who post "bassist wanted" ads are not bassists themselves and may or may not know about bass equipment. I take the term "pro gear" to mean gear that is solid, reliable (in good working order) and appropriate (in tone and potential volume level) for the gig.
    That does not mean expensive.

10. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    To me it means equipment that is reliable and has a good sound quality, a Fender bass rather then a Squirer, Gibson instead of Epiphone, Mark Bass instead of Behringer. I don't think volume has anything to do with it, a band needs to make sure they have a good volume mix so that all of the instruments can be heard.

11. I'd go with reliable & audible.

Depends on the situation, but there might be a 'pro look' or 'snob factor' in there that has (for example) Squier fail but Fender pass. Or Squier pass but high-end Ibanez fail. (Anti-flame attempt; both poor examples; not trying to cop an attitude just trying to quickly convey the area of the concept.)

12. I don't believe brand has much to do with it. If Marcus Miller shows up to play a gig with you and has a squier and a Behringer amp are you going to turn him away?
    Gear is only as good as the user but reliability is another issue completely.

13. To be honest, I've jammed with great musicians who use really poor gear. They just don't have the money or don't want to prioritise the money to use anything better. If you are a band hoping to do well, this inevitably becomes a problem. If I'm looking to book my band gigs and I'm worried about the guitarist being loud enough or getting blown off the stage by other bands, we have a problem.

Serious musicians think about using appropriate gear. They are only tools to be used and they don't make a good player but it is a factor. It's strange that people may find the idea offensive because I really don't think it's about having loads of cash. It's about using good judgement about your sound and performance. To my judgment, if I'm going into a studio at $500 a day, I'd better have a decent bass, new strings, good intonation, a solid amp and decent leads. What brand that stuff is matters less than the sound I get from them.

14. With respect to the bolded portion, I don't think people are meaning for volume to mean "loud as hell", but more "appropriate for the situation". You probably don't wanna bring a single 12 to a loud gig and you don't want to have an 810 if you're trying out for an acoustic/coffee house group.

Mike

15. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    That's exactly my take on it as well.

Appropriate , and giggable gear for the situation is what it means IMO.

It doesn't mean you need a $3000 bass and an SVT.

16. Trauma Boy

Trauma Boy

Apr 22, 2009
    cleveland ohio
    if you can be heard you can be pro, and half the venues plug bass into the PA anyways, and if your drummer or other band members are that worried that they can't hear you then tell them to turn down or make them buy the gear they want you to play out of.

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I COMPLETELY disagree. I own (or have owned) all of the above. AND own some fairly ok gear so I am not a Behringer/Squier player taking offence to your comment.

Why isn't a 500W Behringer or a Squier VM bass pro gear?:confused:

Sorry, completely ridiculous comment IMO.

P.S. Volume DOES have something to do with it. If I bring a 15W practice amp and a $8000 Fodera to jam with an 8 piece band with a horn section, a loud drummer and 2 guitarists with Marshall stacks... I don't think that is PRO gear...

18. LouisV

LouisV

May 19, 2006
    mill valley, CA
    I take "pro gear" to mean something reliable & versatile. I hope it doesn't mean "gear snobishness" on the part of the band, 'cause then the brand of the shoes you wear may become an issue of your "pro-ness," too.

19. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    Hello all,
    Interesting topic this, as i am looking at purchasing 2 more basses for the collection, have the "name" brands, though nothing exotic ( not that a good player ). The prospective basses are termed "entry" level. They look on paper to me a good bass, 34 inch scale, etc etc. Have a lower cost bass from the 70's and it plays just fine, not the same as the name brands, though gigable 100% all the same. Fortunate enough to be past the stage of looking at the name brand, though i like Ibanez for many reasons, and so the new basses will be Ibanez entry models, as i do not play like the guys and gals at the top of the tree.

Hope the OP makes the right sounds at the try out, good muso's will recognise a good or promising player, despite his low cost gear. Unreliable equipment is a whole different matter.

Regards.

20. You beat me to it. Plus one.