what is reccomended for a cheap head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aron86, Mar 17, 2006.

1. aron86

Mar 14, 2006
    i'm wondering what would be a good cheap head. i was thinking mabye the behringer 4500 head at 450 watts at 4ohms for $250. this is in spite of all the posts i have seen here about behringer being bad. let me know whats up. i'll being pairing the head with a avatar 410neo.
  2. I would go with an Ashdown Mag 300. They used to have on the Avatar site an Ashdown Mag 300 Head for $289. Also someone recommended me a GK Backline 600 supposedly 300 watts for $300. I think anything is better than Berhinger and I believe Berhinger copied Ashdown anyways so why not spend the extra 30 bucks and give it the people who designed it in the first place.
  3. BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Ashdown makes some good gear... I dunno about behringer stuff, I've had bad experiences.

But seriously do some searches of this forum, questions about this kinda thing have been asked a million times.
  4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I am happy with my GK Backline 600. It is a lot less weight to carry around than the Behringer.
  5. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Peavey Firebass -- 700 watts for around $300 (used).
  6. +1 on the Firebass 700 a good amp built like a tank and will take some serious abuse and keep on working.
  7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Now I know why you want to build a speaker that will take a lot of juice ;)

That does look like a nice head, and you can't go wrong with PV.
  8. lc12345678

Jan 20, 2005
    look for old Acoustic heads.
    I found a Acoustic 450 at a used music store for $150.
    Yorkville bass heads tend to be pretty cheap second hand too.
  9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have no time for cheap gear. Better to save your money and buy something higher queality, higher priced on the used market. I don't want to sound snobby or anything, but cheap junk that breaks, or does not perform up to the very high standards I need to it just aren't worth my time.
    Several used Thunderfunks here lately for ~$700. Your call though. I understand a tight budget, I just can't work with substandard gear at any price point anymore, btdt, hated it.
  10. pmcd

Feb 22, 2006
    Just played my first two gigs on my brand new GK Backline 600. Gotta say I was pretty impressed,regardless of the low price. Don't know if would compete in a super loud metal band or anything,but it definetly was working at a medium volume gig with a 2x10 cab. The 16 lb. factory was huge. Definetly didn't miss lugging a 65 lb. rack.
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'd recommend going to your local Peavey dealer and looking for the "Max 160". It's 160 watts into 4 ohms. That may seem like a lot less power than the Behr, but plug both into the same cabinet and compare, it's not really. I think the Behringer numbers are somewhat inflated, and conversely, Peavey's numbers may be conservative. Peavey favors local dealers over internet suppliers so you should be able to find one for a good price if you actually go to a store. I compared the Peavey Max with the Behringer and the Peavey sounded substantially better to my ears when running the EQ more or less "flat" on both.

Personally I wouldn't take a Behringer head for free.
  12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Not very helpful to someone who's 15 years old starting out. You don't know what aron86's story is. Sometimes it's a choice between cheap gear and no gear.

No offense, but why even bother to post at all in this thread if you're going to tell someone to triple their budget? What could that possibly accomplish?
  13. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    +1. i always thought that peavey made great stuff. i don't think some of their stuff sounds as good as some other brands, but still sound good. peavey=tank.(imo)
  14. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    also, try finding some used nemesis stuff. i really like them. check on the bay for some good deals, and scout your local gc and music stores for good deals.
  15. wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    Plenty of good stuff out there that can be had at inexpensive used prices... quality gear doesn't have to be expensive. I played a friend's Peavey stack in junior high/high school and really liked it (and from what I know, it's still kicking). If you like SS tone, I bet you could find a used GK 800rb or 400rb at a very reasonable price with a little looking around. Those are quality amps that have a reputation for reliability. I think you can't go wrong with used Hartke amps either... so there, definitely three options for good inexpensive heads.

I think mid-quality gear definitely plays an important roll for musicians. It allows us to make a small(er) investment to figure out just what we do like... plus, having a dependable, though not stellar, amp for backup is important in case something goes wrong with our $$$ dream amp. Plus, some people aren't overly concerned with tone from their gear if they get a sound that they like... I think that's cool if that's your thing.