Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is reconing??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jermyandhisbass, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Is reconing basically putting new speakers into a cabinet? I have a 97 Metro, getting a little floppy in the the low range of my 5 string... Maybe I just need a 15 to handle that. Just wondering considering Eden's recent sale to Washburn's parent company.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Nah you got it wrong. With a recone, you take your existing speakers out of the cab and bring them into a recone place. They will strip the speakers back and re-build them, replacing every component except the basket and the magnet. So basically you get a new cone (hence the name) but also a new surround, new voice coil, new spider, etc. The speakers come back near-new but much cheaper than buying a whole new speaker.

3. Petebass--I assume a Eden user from the avatar. How do I know when the speakers need a recone?

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep Eden among other things. Ive got quite a bit of gear now and I just mix and match as my moods dictate.

Speakers usually need a recone if they're a) making no sound at all, b) are showing obvious signs of tears or physical damage, c) make a scraping noise when you press down on them with your fingers (spread your fingers evenly around the cone surface).

You say it looks floppy? The low B string produces some seriously low frequencies and it may just be that yours can't handle it? Speakers are designed to move backwards and forwards within limits. This low B could be forcing the speaker to move too far. I'm not familiar with the 97 metro - What size is your speaker(s)?

5. Yea, the Metro is basically a 210XLT. The Eden is a very deep cabinet, but the low B is probably wanting a 15" speaker to handle better. I just bought a new Lakland Skyline 5502 Deluxe bass, so Iam low on cash until after this summer. I usually have PA support so it hasn't been an issue. I have been thinking of an Eden, Aguilar, or Avatar as the next cabinet. We'll see when the money comes in. I start college next year, and will prolly need another cabinet when I find a band.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    yep there's your problem. The speakers are fine (for now). It's a great cab but it does need the help of a second in most band situations.

But my 2x10 xlt is rated down to 48hz. A low B string goes way down to 31.5hz. You may not have to get a speaker that go down quite that far (not many do) but most 15's will get pretty close. I use my 2x10 XLT with a 15 regularly and have no problems handling the low B.

As for brands, be careful mixing and matching in this case. Eden cabs are very efficient (look at the specs sheet for 'Sensitivity'). I think the XLT is a bit over 100dB. If your get a second cab with a lower sensitivity rating, it may not produce enough volume to get over the 2x10's. Look for something with sensitivity in the high 90's and you should be ok. Better still, bring your gear with you when shopping around and try it out.