1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is regarded as the most transparent amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lkngro, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Just as the title says: What amplifier is generally regarded as the most transparent?

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Genz Benz "Shuttle" series AFAIK :) .

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    :p

4. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    Good luck with this thread, I asked a si milar post a year ago or so. What do you mean by "transparent". The sound of your bass acoustically, the sound of your pick ups or a sterile sounding amp. From what I have gathered from reading on this website for several years now is this. You need some bumps in certain frequency ranges to sound pleasing to your ear. If your amp was truly transparent you might not like it. Read other posts about this subject, you will get alot of opinions. What I have been doing is playing every amp I can when ever I can. Then I will at least know what sounds good to me!
    I know that doesn't answer your question, but I think you probably couldn't handle the truth (Jack Nicholson voice)

Sartori likes this.
  5. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Outstanding!!!

rodl2005 likes this.
  6. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I don't know about "the most transparent", but the Mesa Carbine series are definetly worth exploring.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if you define "transparent" as "near flat" response, the markbass little mark 3 is one that qualifies.

TN WOODMAN and rodl2005 like this.
  8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Acoustic Image

seang15 likes this.
  9. Think this is exactly what the OP is driving at...

+1 on LM III in that role.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Glockenklang Heart-Rock, IME.

Note: That is the first time in over 22,000 posts that I have used "IME" in a response. I have never used the one that ends in "O."

so tuff and TheRealKong like this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i actually think he could handle the truth ;)

and the truth is that the reason amps have eq's is so we can adjust them to where it sounds good to us. it's nice to have a reference point for near flat response when all controls are nooned, but it's totally unnecessary to the operation of the amp, and most folks don't want it anyway (even those who think they do), hence you don't see it a lot. my two favorite amps have nowhere near flat response when nooned, but i can get the sounds i want out of them with eq, so it's all good.

Sartori likes this.
  12. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Markbass amps are all too compressed on bottom to be put in the same league as amplifiers like say the Iamp 800, as far as transparency is concerned. Just my opinion of course. They are pretty flat eq-wise of course.

The SD series might be a better bet but I don't know if they scope flat or not - I do recall reading that the LM series does.

13. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Most transparent amp, or transparent preamp section? A quality PA amp (crown, qsc) or something more high-end such as Bryston will probably be more transparent then any bass amp w/ pre section. A bass with an active pre or pre pedal such as sadowsky or tonehammer straight into a PA amp will be most transparent.

Sartori likes this.
  14. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    this is my most transparent rig (it still has a little color due to the cab, but it's the most transparent one that i have):

with an the Avalon VT737Sp:
    Avalon-xti-JR.

with a focusrite ISA430MKII:

ISA430MKII-xti-JR.

Wstrindade, seang15 and Bob_Ross like this.
  15. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    David Eden

16. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    really?
    my WT550-B, while i think it's a very nice amp, isn't transparent sounding at all to me.

Sartori likes this.
  17. kerrycares

kerrycares Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    walter woods, roland digital, and acoustic image are all really transparent

seang15 likes this.
  18. On the cheaper side.... :D

I thought my Yorkville 400B was pretty transparent when set flat. Otherwise, I also thought the Peavey Firebass was also pretty transparent.

19. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    CLEARLY A WIN!!!!!
    btw.. i have lusted over those beastie rigs since i first laid eyes on em!

kranahan and Sartori like this.