Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is req for PC Recording ?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nekro, Mar 5, 2001.

1. nekro

nekro

Jan 23, 2001
    Gidday Folks!

Im sure you have all had the experiance of sitting there playing your bass, comming up with a really cool riff etc and then the next day you have no idea how you played it the night before....

I have been wanting to record my bass lines and my friends guitar lines to PC for a while but have never been sure where to start...

Do you need a MIDI board for your PC to handle to Bass or can you run it straight to the MIC ???

And once I have got that sorted.. what sort of software is recommended for recording these lines ?

I really just want to have a play around.. I havn't really got any interest in trying to be to "pro" about it... so gotta keep it relitivly cheep :)

Cheers for any advise you can offer :)

Dave

2. I_Dream_Of_Bass

I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    Dave:

If you only want to try and get your bass into your pc, you should be able to use the 'Direct Out' on you head/amp and, with the right cables/connectors, plug into the microphone input on your sound card. If you don't have a 'Direct Out' on your head/amp, then you can buy a 'Direct Input' box for about $60USD. This should allow you to get the bass into your pc to record. As for software, you might want to look at Cool Edit Pro. It's relatively cheap($300USD), and allows for recording and basic editing. Here's their site:

http://www.syntrillium.com/products.htm

If you have anymore questions, port them here.

3. nekro

nekro

Jan 23, 2001
    Thats awsome mate...

I wasn't to sure if there would be an "overload" prob comming out of the head and into the MIC.... didn't really want to blow up my PC if I could avoid it.

I will go and take a look at the site that you mentioned also.

Cheers for all the help mate, much appreciated :)

Kind Regards
    Dave

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Usually the Line IN is the best choice, most soundcards have really sh!tty mic preamps. And since you already have line level coming from your amp it's already prepared for the Line IN.

If you have to use the Mic IN, make sure you uncheck the +20dB Boost in the Windows mixer panel!

A shareware editor like Cooledit ( www.syntrillium.com ) or Goldwave ( www.goldwave.com ) is a good beginner tool.

P.S.: Sonic Foundry www.sonicfoundry.com sells their brandnew Soundforge 5 for 99$! This is a real pro tool, and lighyears ahead of Cooledit!

Other pro-level tools: Steinberg's Wavelab and SEK'D's Samplitude