1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is Richard Bona's best BASS recording?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by agfrag, Aug 4, 2007.

1. agfrag

agfrag

Feb 24, 2006
    Novi, Mi
    I have been in recent awe of Richard Bona since I heard him on a public radio show the other day, and I went out and bought Tiki, and really enjoy it, but I wonder if there is any recording out there that features a lot of his bass playing in particular.

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Not really. I have all his solo recordings, and for some reason he's always been focused in the songwriting and production, not how much bass playing is in there. He takes virtually no solos.

I wish he would put out a fusion bass record that displays what he can do. He does it with Metheny and Stern, and many others, why not by himself?

Anyhow, if you wanna catch Richard burnin', get a hold of the Mike Stern DVD with Dennis Chambers.

3. agfrag

agfrag

Feb 24, 2006
    Novi, Mi
    Thanks 007, I was hoping against such, but isn't it ironic that a guy that can play like that kind of shrugs at his technical prowess, and subdues his bass playing for the most part? I mean, how many years have I been waiting for some one to come along with chops and taste like this guy has, only to see it buried in the mix...so to speak!!!

4. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Check out Larry Coryell's "Spaces Revisited" featuring Billy Cobham, Bireli Lagrene, and Richard Bona. I dig the tune "Blues for Django and Stephane".

There is also "Blackbird/Word of Mouth" off the Jaco Pastorius Big Band album "The Word Is Out".

Joe

5. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Bona plays "Punk Jazz" on the Jaco Pastorius Big Band's CD "Word of Mouth Revisited".

6. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Check out these results: Bona's credits on All Music.

You can even click on the little speakers to listen to samples.

Enjoy,
    Joe

7. its him and bobby mcferrin...i know its not what your looking for, but i bet you find this video to be mind blowing.

8. agfrag

agfrag

Feb 24, 2006
    Novi, Mi
    Yes indeed it is mindblowing, and so are several other of the youtube clips, such as that "17" clip. What a talent!

9. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Audiophile Imports is so great! (just wish it was a little cheaper to get the great music that the general public has no idea about)

10. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I listened to some of those sound samples. Wow! Great sounding CD. Thanks for sharing that link. I never heard of audiophileimports.

Joe

11. Actually, to me that is what makes him so great. He just makes great music. And, the more you listen to his solo CD's, the more you realize how totally smoking the bass playing is.

That being said, check out the DVD he's on with Mike Stern. Not my thing at all, but if you want to hear him burn, that would do it. The Stern solo CD 'Voices' is also very nice, and is kind of halfway between Richards solo work and the 'post fusion' burning of that DVD.

IMO

12. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    If you really want to hear him cut loose get the 3 Kazumi Wantanabe Mo Bop CD's. Trio fusion playing at it's best. He solo's in nearly every song and they also feature one of the best drummers out there, Horatio Hernandez. They also put out a live DVD that is incredible.

13. Yeah! They are great cd's if you like fusion music. The DVD is awsome and I love his tone on that DVD.

Christian