What is risky with the spalted maple dust?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mr M, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Hi! I'd like to learn what is risky with the spalted maple dust? I've read that it may cause problems in the lungs but what it really does? How much big is the risk? Is it the same risk if the lumber is well dried in kiln?

I ask it because I've respired a little bit of it and wonder now if I'll have any trouble and what I should do to prevent it..

2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Spalted wood has been infested with fungus. You probably don't want to go inhaling little bits of fungus. Then again, inhaling little bits of wood isn't so hot anyway.
  3. Thanks but I wonder if I inhaled fungus, what can happen? Do you have any idea? It's bad but how bad? Will it cause an allergic reaction, make me caugh for some time or will it ruin the lungs? OK maybe the right thing is to ask to a doctor but if there are some TB'ers who know how serious is the risk, I'd be grateful to hear them before. I don't want to go immediately to the doctor if it's just some caughs and it goes. I insist on it because there's a bass that I'll have soon with a spalted maple top and I didn't like the finish that the luthier used, we decided to change it and to do so after moving the finish he used a machine with sandpaper to move all the remaining finish and while doing this I was with him and everywhere was dusty. I think I inhaled it and now I fear if it's too serious for my lungs..
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Sorry, I don't know the specifics.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Mad tree disease? :rolleyes: :D
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I hope you're not serious.
  7. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX

I hope.
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Dude, why the hell weren't you wearing a breath mask? There's disposable ones with 5 filters for like, $10 CAD at any hardware store.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd wear a mask no matter what kind of wood dust was being created.