Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is Selling Out?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FunkyDom, Jan 30, 2003.

1. FunkyDom

FunkyDom

Aug 31, 2002
    Selling out is a term that is thrown around quite a bite and the people who use the term often truly don't know what they're trying to say. When you mention selling out people often think about bands like Blink182, RHCP, No Doubt, Sugar Ray, you know how it is. These bands are called sell-outs because they've changed their style of music and have achieved success. I believe that's balderdash. Who here can honestly say they've listened to and played the same style of music for their whole lives? A band usually changes it's sound because they wanna try something new, or experiment or whatever. Look at RHCP, damn near every album they have out sounds completely unique and different, and they're still accused of selling out...

I personally think that only bands that change their music to purposely make money and that play music they don't like are sell-outs. And, honestly, none of us chaps can really know which bands accept the cash to play the songs.

One shameless artist that I believe has "sold-out" is nelly (ugh) is that terrible song "Air Force Ones". Has this guy no dignity? This song is a step short of being a full fledge shoe commercial. I guarantee he's been paid off by Nike. What has music become?

Anyway, just wanna see some opinions on what you think selling out is, and who you think has sold out.

Peace

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    No one really cares anymore. it's a stupid label. just forget about it. I barely wanted to post here, due to the fact that people get so upset about a made up term. I think the word should be deleted from everyones memorys.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Selling out, according to most "underground" fans would mean you sell a decent amount of records. :rolleyes:

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    creed

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what's with the soap box - someone paying you? are you selling out? ;)

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Metallica, Aerosmith.

I'm all for bands changing styles. But in Metallica's case, they stopped writing original music and put out mediocre songs similar to those on the radio at the time (they also started dressing like alternapopsters). They once had their own voice, they're now just another band in terms of songwriting. But they happen to be making lots of money because they're playing "safe" music.

Pretty much the same's true for Aerosmith... it's like they gave up on rock: "Let's bring in some pop songwriters in to help us write radio-friendly power ballads".

I agree that the term is often used unfairly, but IMHO the shoe fits very well for the bands I cited. I give much more credit to a band like Nirvana, who got a major label deal and a massive hit album in "Nevermind", but came back with their weirdest album ever, "In Utero". Same goes for Radiohead... they are still following their muse, getting weirder as they mature... they haven't fallen into the corporate cookie cutter.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    What you talkin' bout Willis? :D

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    not you, the original poster. he seems to be up on a soapbox preaching away.

9. compare blink 182's albums with their live performences. I think even the mark, tom and travis show was edited.

same with rhcp, they are still awesome, but live, can he sing?

too me, thats selling out.. using smancy stuff on the CD then you can't do anything on stage.. there's lotsa stuff you could say is selling out, but like PB said, just a stupid label. so just say that band sucks my rear from now on, mkay? :p

:cool:

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If you your band is friends with other local bands, and your band becomes successful, then you have sold out. :rolleyes: Like my daddy used to say, "You can't sell out if noone's buying." I'd gladly "sell out", sure I'd be racked with guilt everytime I drop my son off at private school in a Mercedes Benz, but hey, I'm willing to take the hit.

In response to your Nelly comment, he is in this to make money, I say mission accomplished. He made the song, because the shoes are trendy, Nike came in later. Besides, I have to commend you for turning down the money when they offered it to you. I understand that Nelly was their 2nd choice. :rolleyes:

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I agree with you there, FunkyDom. Artists naturally do change their style, it evolves - as it should, it has nothing to do with selling out.

Some people said Herbie sold out when I started making funk records.

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You reckon it's selling out to record music that you couldn't perform live on stage? Did The Beatles sell out when they stopped touring alltogether and recorded Sgt Pepper (which they couldn't have performed live)?

13. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Then there are those who rely too much on the music they listen to to define their identity and self-image. Then their favorite band goes and has a hit, and it's like their girlfriend went and kissed every loser in town. They feel soooo betrayed... :oops:

14. FunkyDom

FunkyDom

Aug 31, 2002

What you talkin' bout Willis?

15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Alot of people are like that! WHY? losers.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I agree with Pollybass and Secret Donkey. Personally, I don't worry to much about the "politics" of music. If I like music, I listen to it. It's as simple as that. I don't care if they were a hard core street punk band the album before, and now the cd I'm listening to is radio friendly Goo Goo Dolls type pop rock. Music is to important to me to worry about stupid stuff like that.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That's a good point, and I agree. On the one hand, I listen to John Zorn and other wacko experimental art-noise. On the other hand, I'm not at all embarrassed to say that I own "Dookie" by Green Day and actually like it.

But I do not like it when artists I once considered innovators begin making un-creative music which sounds suspiciously like the current Big Thing. That makes me think they are compromising themselves simply to make a buck. If their newer radio-friendly music is still GOOD (a subjective term, of course) then I'm merely disappointed, but if I think it's formulaic crap then I get angry, and that's when I use the dysphemism "sell out".

All that said, I try not to be a negative person... if I saw a thread about, say, the recent Aerosmith album, I would avoid it entirely and not playa-hate by dropping in and yelling "SELL OUT!"

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

When Journey fired Ainsley Dunbar, and hired Steve Perry(late 70's). I thought it was a "sellout". I didn't like thier music anymore, but what did I know. They went on to sell a kazillion records.

Ditto for Van Halen after 1984. Bye Bye David L.R. Hello! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
    :eek:

19. if selling out is making a bunch of money then i dont know...because being friends with some guys from Mest, they cnat live of $5 per person a night, they barely pay off their apartment rent.
    i've been called a sell-out simply becaus ei like ska, and ska sold out.
    meh...ska for life.
    peace&plaid
    -shoonk

20. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I think one form of selling out is playing music you don't like for money. That said, I'd sell out any day if I had the opportunity. You can still do the stuff you like as well.