Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is Stereo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmittuml, Jun 27, 2005.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    im gong to be running a 410xlt through a navigator / plx2402 and will have a 215xlt in september with it...... im still confused on what "stereo" is to a bass and how it sounds different? is it possible to run the 410 in stereo mode with both channels (would a pan effect work on one cab).

Also when I get my 215 im gonna be running them one on each channel so i can turn up the volume on either when i need it...... and i will have my pedalboard running exclusively through the 410 leaving the 215 for lowend... is it possible to run both in stereo and still have the board going through just the 410?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    stereo (as far as bass amps and power amps go) really just means that you're using 2 seperate poweramps.

no, you cant run stereo into a single cab like a 410 (although with some rewiring and an extra jack you could, but it really wouldn't be worth it). you can however run the qsc in bridge mono mode to use both halves of ther power amp at once into the cab with just one connection

fortunately, the navigator is very flexible. it has a post eq effects loop with one send and two returns (left and right) IIRC, you can just run the effects send to your effects unit and run the output to one channel, while putting nothing in the return for the other channel so it stays "dry". so yeah, you should be able to keep the 15 w/o effects while giving a "wet" signal to your 410. and the navigator does have a balance control for volume.

personally, i would not use the crossover/biamp feature. i think you'll like the way the cabs sound full range

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

true stereo starts with a stereo bass which has dual outputs that run a neck pup to one amp channel/or amp and the bridge pup to the other amp channel/or amp. I run stereo out my bass and can't say as the difference is significant over full range. What is significant is taking a pup with split coils and running the bass strings to one cab and the treble strings to another. It's like having dualing bass players on each side of the stage but has limitations. Stereo nowdays can effectively be done through electronics without the hassles.