Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is "SX"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tames, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    I always see "SX" basses mentioned, and I'm not sure what they are. Is this some brand? A classification for a certain style? Please don't make me feel dumb haha

2. catdriver

catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    Yep it's a brand. They're aparently a good Fender knockoff. A search of the boards, will turn up a link to a source.

3. www.rondomusic.net

SX or Essex makes High quality Fender styled basses for entry level, or modification level of guitars. Great bang for the buck!!!

~Ryan.

4. SX is TB slang for all the tail we get as bass players. Because as you know, bass players always get the most tail.
    :D

5. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Whoa! A P/J style bass for under $120?? Are these things seriously worth buying? If so, I can't pass a deal like that up. Plus if anything sucks I suppose I could replace the neck and/or pickups... and pickguard.

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Check the megathread.

In short: Yes.

7. I've got an SX Fretless Jazz.

It's OK. Not anywhere near as good as my Yamaha BB404F, but it was cheaper.

The SX stuff is OK, at the prices Rondo sell them for, they are good value for money, but don't get delusional - they aren't Great.

;)

In short, if you want a good value for money, entry level bass that sounds pretty good, then get one :D

8. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill

:eyebrow: Blasphemer!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :D They aren't great? I have a 75C natural with the blocks and Bart jazz pickups and I will put it up against any MIM Fender. The only thing these basses need most of the time is a setup when you get them but they are very serviceable basses without upgrades and great with whatever upgrades you like.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    putting it up against a mim fender isnt proving theyre grreat, id say that supports the opinion that theyre OK.